Frequently Asked Questions

Other students and their families may have the same questions as you do. Check here to see whether someone else is addressing your concerns.

Questions About Filling Out the FAFSA

Q: When do I file my FAFSA?
A: The FAFSA is made available to students each year on October 1st. Evergreen's filing priority deadline is February 1st.

Q: I am not living with my parents and they do not support me, am I independent?
A: If you have answered no to all of the questions relating to dependency on the FAFSA you will be considered dependent. If you have a special circumstance, please contact our office for more information.

Q: What if I didn't file my taxes?
A: If you are not required to file taxes you may indicate "not going to file" on your FAFSA. If you are selected for verification there is a box on the Verification Worksheet you can check that says you are not going to file. If you are required to file, please do so and update your information with our office as soon as possible.

Q: What is the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?
A: The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is an option on the FAFSA for you to upload your tax information directly from the IRS.

Questions About Aid Available at Evergreen

Q: How do I apply for financial aid at Evergreen?
A: You can apply by going to; make sure to include our school code: 008155.You must apply for Admissions at Evergreen at the same time.

Q: How do I apply for grants?
A: When you fill out the FAFSA and once your application is complete, we will determine if you are eligible for any need-based grants.

Q: How do I apply for other scholarships?
A: Evergreen scholarships applications are due every year by February 1st. Please look at our scholarship page. You may also look to your community and scholarship search engines for outside scholarships.

Q: How do I apply for work study?
A: When you fill out the FAFSA you must indicate you are interested in work study. When we process your application we will determine if you are eligible for work study.

Q: What types of financial aid does Evergreen offer?
A: Evergreen offers grants, work study and loans; take a look at our Types of Aid page.

Q: Can I get financial aid in the summer?
A: Financial aid is offered during the summer to students who complete the summer interest form and that have left over loan eligibility. Not everyone is eligible for summer financial aid.

Questions About Financial Aid Awards

Q: How do I accept my financial aid award?
A: There are many steps to accept your award, please visit Accept Financial Aid Funds Page.

Q: I plan to use my AmeriCorps award, but don't know how to get that started. Can you help me?
A: For information on how to use AmeriCorps, please visit our AmeriCorps page.

Q: I've gone to my.evergreen to accept my award, but it won't let me. Why is it doing this?
A: If you have completed all of the steps on How to Accept Financial Aid Funds, please contact our office.

Q: I have been awarded a scholarship that is not an Evergreen Scholarship, what do I do?
A: If you have received an outside scholarship, you need to let us know as soon as you can. It may affect your financial aid award. Contact our office for more information.


How Financial Aid Pays for My Educational Expenses

Q: How does financial aid pay for tuition?
A: Your financial aid is split between quarters. If you are registered for the right amount of credits and all other eligibility requirements have been met, your financial aid will automatically pay into your student account and pay tuition before classes start.

Q: How does financial aid pay for housing?
A: After tuition has been paid and if you have financial aid left over, it will automatically pay for on-campus housing. If you live off campus and have excess funds after tuition is paid you will be issued a refund to help pay for your rent.

Q: How does financial aid pay for books?
A: If you are interested in purchasing your books from the campus book store, contact Student Financial Services about the bookstore voucher program. Otherwise, you may use your refund after the first class day to pay for books.

Q: When do I get my refund?
A: Refunds are issued on the first class day. Please refer to Financial Aid Checks page for more details.

Q: Can I get my refund before classes start?
A: No, you must wait until the first class day. If you are a MiT student or studying abroad please contact our office to see if you are eligible to get your refund early.


Loan Questions

Q: What if I don't want to accept my entire loan?
A: You may accept a part of your loan by filling out a Direct Loan Request Form and submitting it to our office.


Questions About Withdrawing, Graduating, Taking Less Credit, or Academic Progress

Q: Can I get my financial aid transferred to Evergreen from another school?
A: Your financial aid cannot be transferred directly between schools. You must add the school code to your FAFSA for the school you wish to attend. Accept the financial aid for the school you are attending and cancel/decline for any other schools. Contact our office for more information.

Q: How do I take a leave of absence?
A: You need to contact the Financial Aid office and the Registration and Records office to let us know when you will be on leave and when you think you might return.

Q: I didn't earn full credits for one of the quarters; can I still get financial aid?
A: Please read the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy to find out if your aid is in jeopardy.

Q: I am graduating, what do I need to do with your office?
A: All graduating students need to complete Loan Exit Counseling.

Q: How many credits do I need to be registered for to receive financial aid?
A: For an undergraduate student, your award is based on attending at least 12 credits. If you would like to take less, please contact our office for more information.


Contacting the Financial Aid Office

Q: Who can ask questions about my financial aid?
A: Unless you have given us permission to speak to anyone other than you regarding your financial aid, we can only speak directly to you. Please visit our FERPA (Confidentiality of Student Records) page for more information.

Phone: (360) 867-6205
Fax: (360) 867-6576
Email: Financial Aid