Financial Support for Undocumented Students

Find resources and support while attending Evergreen, regardless of your documentation status.

Applying for Admission

Evergreen welcomes applications from all students, regardless of residency status.

You don’t have to be covered by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. Visit Admissions page to apply. Undocumented students should use the Evergreen Application, rather than the Common Application.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Learn more if you are ineligible for federal financial aid due to immigration status.

Financial Aid

To see if you qualify, fill out the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WAFSA). Types of financial aid available:

  • Washington State Need Grant and/or Washington State College Bound
  • Evergreen Need Grant
  • Work Study for students who have DACA and authorization to work

Submit an application for admission and become an admitted student before we can determine what financial aid you are eligible for. Find out more about how Financial Aid works at Evergreen.


The Evergreen State College Foundation offers scholarships to all Evergreen students regardless of their citizenship status. Scholarship application deadline is March 1 of each year.

Use your Evergreen email to access the application portal at If you do not have an Evergreen email yet, contact Undergraduate Scholarship staff at or (360) 688-8245.

Visit the scholarships webpage to learn about the application process.

The following are scholarships that were created with undocumented/ DACAmented students in mind:

  • The DREAMership Scholarship
  • The UFE Faculty Union Solidarity Scholarships
  • Raquel Salinas Memorial Scholarship

If you would like to review the full list of opportunities, they can be found at Evergreen Scholarships.

Eligibility for In-State Tuition

Through Senate Bill 5194, Washington state allows anyone with a high school diploma or GED earned anywhere in the world who resides or establishes residence in Washington state for at least 12 consecutive months prior to enrollment to be eligible for in-state tuition. The Washington residence must be for purposes other than college. If a student takes any courses at another Washington college during the prior 12 months, they cannot have taken more than 6 credits in any given term. Students exceeding that limit must prove that they have a Washington residence for non-college reasons.

To see if you qualify, see the Washington State Higher Education Residency Affidavit (PDF).  

Learn how Washington is making college more affordable:

Registration and Records can answer questions about this process.

Legal Resources

Help with DACA status.

For students making decisions about DACA status, the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project has published an advisory. 

The Northwest Immigration Rights Project also provides help with DACA renewal.
Register for a DACA Renew Clinic here.

Pacific County Immigrant Support Recommendations for Legal Support (PDF)

DACA and Study Abroad

Students with DACA status may be eligible to travel internationally.

Students with DACA status may be eligible to travel internationally for study abroad with advance parole. Visit Study Abroad and DACA to learn about the advance parole requirements and process.

Contact Evergreen's International Programs and Services at to discuss your interest in study abroad, financing options, logistical matters and how the office can provide documentation for a “qualifying reason to travel abroad”.

Contacts for Holistic Support

Diego Lopez Vega, Undocumented/Underserved Student Support Specialist | para Español
CAB 324
(360) 867-6787
Monday: 10 am - 4 pm (in-person)
Wednesday: 10 am - 4 pm  (remote)
Friday: 10 am - 2 pm (in-person)
Book an Appointment

Trina Griffis, Financial Assistance
Evans Hall 1200
(360) 867-5204

Juanita Hopkins, Undergraduate Students | para Español
CAB 227
Book an Appointment

Luis Apolaya Torres, Graduate Students | para Español
SEM II E-3135

Michelle Crowson, Academic and Career Advising | English, Japanese, Mandarin
Evans Hall 2127
(360) 867-6478


Book a Virtual Appointment
Book an In-Person Appointment
(Mondays, Tuesdays or Thursdays)

Financial Aid


Office Hours

  • Monday - Friday: 9 am - 4 pm