How to Register a Student Group
Why Register Your Student Group?
- Money for events and projects*
- Support for meetings and events
- Experienced advisors to help you meet your goals
- Workspace and cubicles
- Free materials for promoting your group
- Office supplies and equipment to check out
- Learning allotments for student group leaders*
- A button maker!
* You must apply separately for funding or stipends, get training in budgeting, and fill out paperwork. We'll help you figure it out.
The Short Version:
- Have an idea.
- Email an Activities advisor.
- Find your people who want to be a part of your group.
- Sign up for a training workshop in Winter 2021.
- Go to the workshop.
- Go, go, go!
Have an Idea
Almost any subject or pastime that brings people together can be the seed of a great student group: hobbies, academic subjects, communities, issues, or politics. Recreational clubs are welcome too!
See an Advisor
Email Student Activities to talk to an activities advisor. You'll have a chance to talk about your ideas and goals. Our advisors will make sure your idea for a group is a good fit, or help you figure out some other way to realize your vision.
Find More People
The purpose of student organizations is to build your community. Are other students excited by your idea? If you don't have folks interested yet, it's a good chance to get started getting the word out. Try connecting with like-minded students in your programs, housing, or social media platforms. An advisor can also help you set up and promote an interest meeting.
Sign Up and Go to Training
Once you’ve recruited the club leadership, you're ready to get trained and registered. Clubs can have up to 3 official leaders (we call them coordinators).
All club leadership will need to go to the Registration Workshop, a one-hour workshop to introduce you to the rules & resources for student groups. You will learn how to build your group base, how to plan an event on campus, and how to apply for funds. You will also complete a registration Canvas module to learn more about policy and procedure to get you on your way.