What You Can Teach

Endorsements on a teaching license indicate which subject areas and grade levels you are qualified to teach. Explore this page to learn about the endorsements we offer.

To earn an endorsement to teach a specific subject, you must:

  • Have completed coursework or relevant life experience in your preferred endorsement area

  • Take tests that demonstrate your content knowledge

  • Complete curriculum planning, assessment and teaching methods work for your endorsement within MiT, and have completed a field experience


Hadiya Biglow, MiT 2018, working with a high school student in a classroom
Hadiya Biglow, MiT 2018, works with a high school student in an English Language Arts classroom.

Endorsement Levels

All Level: P–12 endorsements cover a subject area that you can teach at any level, from birth (preschool) all the way through high school. Most P–12 endorsements require a second endorsement.

Elementary: K–8 is the state endorsement for teaching elementary school. You’ll be prepared to teach in schools where students stay in the same class all day long.

Middle: 4–9 endorsements specifically prepare you to teach in intermediate, middle school, or junior high schools.

Secondary: 5–12 endorsements prepare you to teach in any intermediate, middle school, junior high, or high school, where teachers teach specific subjects and students move from class to class.


Ryan Reilly, MiT 2007, stands with eight of his elementary school students in a Seattle classroom.
Ryan Reilly, MiT 2007, and his students at a Seattle elementary school.

Endorsements Offered at Evergreen

Evergreen offers endorsements in multiple areas, including some that are offered at only a few places in Washington State. 

The Test Code tells you which tests you need to take for your endorsement in addition to the WEST-B. Find out more about required tests.

Endorsements Offered at Evergreen
Endorsement Level Test Code
Biology 5–12 NES 305
Chemistry 5–12 NES 306
Earth and Space Science 5–12 NES 307
Elementary Education K–8 NES 102 & NES 103
English Language Arts 5–12 NES 301
English Language Learners (additional endorsement area required) P–12 WEST-E 051
History 5–12 WEST-E 027
Mathematics 5–12 NES 304
Middle Level Humanities (English and Social Studies) 4–9 WEST-E 052 & WEST-E 053
Middle Level Math 4–9 NES 203
Middle Level Science 4–9 NES 204
Physics 5–12 NES 308
Social Studies 5–12 WEST-E 028
Theatre Arts P–12 WEST-E 055
Visual Arts P–12 NES 503
World Languages: French, Japanese, or Spanish P–12 WEST-E 100*

*Foreign language endorsements also require the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) or computerized interview (OPIC) and the Written Proficiency Test (WPT) from Language Testing International. These proficiencies must be passed at the advanced low level.


Where you can teach

Educator licensure in Washington State is governed by the Professional Educators Standards Board (PESB). PESB approves teacher education programs and approved teacher education programs make teacher candidate recommendations for certification to PESB who has the authority to certify and license teachers. Students who successfully complete the Master in Teaching degree at The Evergreen State College will be recommended to PESB for Licensure. Washington State licenses teachers to teach in Washington State. 

The Evergreen State College MiT program meets the requirements for licensure or certification in Washington State. We have not made a determination if our curriculm meets the State educational requirements for licensure or certification in the following states: AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WV, WI, WY

The National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement facilitates the mobility of educators among the states and other jurisdictions that are members of NASDTEC and have signed the agreement. Please keep in mind that licensure requirements are subject to change. Make sure to check with the appropriate state agency to confirm current licensure requirements.