Housing During Breaks
Evergreen’s academic year contains three major breaks when classes are not in session. Residential buildings remain open, but the majority of residents leave campus for most or all of the break.
Many campus services are suspended during breaks, including meal service in the Greenery. To see special break schedules for other campus services, visit Dining Services, Student Wellness Services, The Library, and the Recreation Center.
Academic Breaks 2019-20
- Thanksgiving Break is November 23 through December 1. Meal service in the Greenery ends at 6:30 p.m. on Friday November 22 and resumes at 5 p.m. on Sunday December 1.
- Winter Break is December 21 through January 5. Meal service in the Greenery ends at 2 p.m. on Friday December 20 and resumes at 5 p.m. on Sunday January 5.
- Spring Break is March 21 through March 29. Meal Service in the Greenery ends at 2 p.m. on Friday March 20 and resumes at 5 p.m. on Sunday March 29.
- Summer Break begins June 10. Regular Meal Service in the Greenery ends on June 12. See our summer housing page for more information.
Meal service in the Greenery is suspended during breaks. Other campus venues have limited hours. If you plan to stay during break, please be prepared to locate and prepare your own food. The Sun Kitchen on the first floor or A Building will remain open over break. If you plan to rely on the Campus Food Bank, you should contact them to ensure they are maintaining regular hours over break.
Hungry Greener Program During Breaks
Free Dining Bucks (DB) are available to residents living on campus during Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Breaks. To apply for the free DB you need to fill out the Hungry Greener Break Application at least seven days before any break begins. The due dates for applications are:
Thanksgiving Break – Monday, November 18, 2019 by 5:00 pm
Winter Break – Friday, December 13, 2019 by 5:00 pm
Spring Break – Friday, March 13, 2020 by 5:00 pm
Housing Charges for Winter & Spring Breaks
Housing charges are billed to your student account one quarter at a time and they do not include the winter and spring breaks. This is because housing is free during winter and spring breaks—as long as you are an on-campus resident before and after the break. See the housing agreement for details about agreement releases and break fees.
Staying over Break
Break housing is available only to students who are continuing at Evergreen for the upcoming quarter. If you are graduating or leaving Evergreen, you are not eligible to stay over break and you must be officially checked out of your room by 12:00 noon on Friday of Evaluation week to avoid additional fees.
To support the small number of residents who remain living on campus during break, a reduced number of staff are on call and desk services have reduced hours. If you plan to remain in the Residence Halls (A, B, or C buildings) for all or part of Winter Break, you must fill out the Winter Break Housing Request Form. The purpose of this policy is to ensure we know who is in these mostly empty buildings over break.
At the start and end of winter and spring breaks, facilities staff may enter your room and inspect it for maintenance and repairs. At no time during the inspection will staff open or move anything. Please note that if policy violations are found, it may result in conduct action.
If there is a vacancy in your room, be sure to leave the vacant side clean and empty so it is ready for a new roommate to move in and feel welcome. Your side of the room should also be tidy and presentable. Failure to leave your room properly prepared may result in conduct action and additional housing charges. A new roommate may arrive at any time during the break.
Even if there is not a vacancy in your room, you are advised to leave your side tidy and presentable. It is common for a roommate to unexpectedly move out during the break and for a new roommate to be assigned. In the event a new roommate arrives to your room and finds it extraordinarily messy and unwelcoming, you may be subject to conduct action and additional housing charges.
If you are in a suite-style room, your bathroom may be cleaned or repaired over the break. Please remove all personal belongings from your bathroom area to allow access by custodial and maintenance staff.
Checklist Before You Leave
- If you have live plants or fish, take them with you or arrange for their care.
- Take out your garbage and recycling, and remove any perishable food from your fridge.
- Lock your windows and close the blinds. Notify staff immediately if your window lock is broken.
- Leave your heat on. It will be controlled from a central location.
- Unplug electronics and turn off the lights.
- Lock your door.
Maintenance and Custodial Projects
Maintenance and custodial projects often occur within the residential buildings during break. These projects may involve noise, utility outages, detours and entry into student rooms.
Mail is delivered to all residential buildings during breaks with the exception of when the desk is closed. Students are notified when a package is ready for pick up, but can only claim them during the reduced Intersession desk hours, posted at the front desk. If you have any questions please contact Housing-Mail@wwu.edu or Mail Services (360-650-3770).
Moving Out During Break
Please abide by the Proper Checkout Procedure which involves vacating and cleaning your share of the room, talking to your roommates about cleaning common areas, and handing in your keys.
- Failure to follow the Proper Checkout Procedure may result in a $100 improper checkout fee, key charges and additional room rent.
- Moving out before the end of the school year may result in an agreement break fee up to $700 except in cases of school withdrawal, graduation, internship or study abroad.
- Moving out during winter or spring break may result in a checkout penalty.