Housing During Breaks
Most campus services are suspended during breaks, including meal service in the Greenery. To see special break schedules for other campus services, visit Dining Services, Student Wellness Services, The Library, and the Recreation Center.
Academic Breaks 2020-21
- Thanksgiving Break is November 23 through November 28. Meal service in the Greenery ends at 6:30 p.m. on Friday November 20 and resumes at 5 p.m. on Sunday November 29.
- Winter Break is December 19 through January 3. Meal service in the Greenery ends at 2 p.m. on Friday December 18 and resumes at 5 p.m. on Sunday January 3.
- Spring Break is March 22 through March 27. Meal Service in the Greenery ends at 2 p.m. on Friday March 19 and resumes at 5 p.m. on Sunday March 28.
- Summer Break begins June 9. Regular Meal Service in the Greenery ends on June 11. See our summer housing page for more information.
Meal service in the Greenery is suspended during breaks and other campus venues have limited hours. Be prepared to pay for meals, as fall meal plans end on December 18, and winter meal plans do not start until January 2 2021. If you plan to stay during break, please be prepared to locate and prepare your own food. If you plan to rely on the Campus Food Bank, be aware that they close over break and December 15 is the last day they will be open until January 5, 2021.
Hungry Greener Program During Breaks
Free Dining Bucks (DB) are available to residents living on campus during Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Breaks. To apply for the free DB you need to fill out the Hungry Greener Break Application before any break begins. The due dates for applications are:
Thanksgiving Break – Thursday, November 19, 2020 by 5:00 pm
Winter Break – Thursday, December 17, 2020 by 5:00 pm
Spring Break – Thursday, March 18, 2021 by 5:00 pm
Housing Charges for Winter & Spring Breaks
Housing charges are billed to your student account one quarter at a time and they do not include the winter and spring breaks. This is because housing is free during winter and spring breaks—as long as you are an on-campus resident before and after the break. See the housing agreement for details about agreement releases and break fees.
Staying over Break
Break housing is available only to students who are continuing at Evergreen for the upcoming quarter. If you are graduating or leaving Evergreen, you are not eligible to stay over break and you must be officially checked out of your room by 12:00 noon on Friday of Evaluation week to avoid additional fees.
To support the small number of residents who remain living on campus during break, a reduced number of staff are available. If you plan to remain on campus for all or part of Winter Break, you must fill out the Winter Break Housing Request Form (link coming soon). The purpose of this policy is to ensure we know who is on campus in these mostly empty buildings over break.
At the start and end of winter and spring breaks, facilities staff may enter your room and inspect it for maintenance and repairs. At no time during the inspection will staff open or move anything. Please note that if policy violations are found, it may result in conduct action.
If there is a vacancy in your apartment, be sure to keep your common spaces clean so it is ready for a new roommate to move in and feel welcome. Failure to leave your apartment properly prepared may result in conduct action and additional housing charges. A new roommate may arrive during check in at the end of the break.
Checklist Before You Leave
- If you have live plants or fish, take them with you or arrange for their care.
- Take out your garbage and recycling, and remove any perishable food from your fridge.
- Lock your windows and close the blinds. Notify staff immediately if your window lock is broken.
- Leave your heat on. It will be controlled from a central location.
- Unplug electronics and turn off the lights.
- Lock your door.
Maintenance and Custodial Projects
Maintenance and custodial projects often occur within the residential buildings during break. These projects may involve noise, utility outages, detours and entry into student rooms.
Moving Out During Break
Please abide by the Proper Checkout Procedure which involves vacating and cleaning your share of the room, talking to your roommates about cleaning common areas, and handing in your keys. You must move out by 12 noon on Friday of Evaluation Week of any quarter to avoid paying additional fees.
- Failure to follow the Proper Checkout Procedure may result in a $100 improper checkout fee, key charges and additional room rent.
- Moving out before the end of the school year may result in an agreement break fee up to $700 except in cases of school withdrawal, graduation, internship or study abroad.
- Moving out during winter or spring break may result in a checkout penalty.