Your safety and security is a priority

Campus and building safety


The campus will occasionally close due to inclement weather such as windstorms and snow or ice storms and power outages that these may cause. We have a variety of protocols that allow our staff to provide the best possible services to our residents during these scenarios.

In the event that the school closes, Residential and Dining Services (RAD) staff will remain on site throughout the duration of the storm and resulting power outage.

There is a live-in Resident Director (RD) on call who will work on communicating with residents about available services and coordinate with Police Services to assist with health and safety concerns. The RD will work with our live-in Residential Maintenance staff (RMs) to secure the buildings, clear paths of snow, ice, or storm debris, and ensure that life safety systems and emergency generators are operational.

Communication during school closures

When the campus is closed, the RAD office will not be open and phones will not be answered. Email and text message updates will be sent to residents.

Campus food

Here is what to expect at the Greenery during school closures and power outages.

The Greenery has an emergency generator and will be able to serve grab and go food to the best of its ability. Hours of operation will turn into weekend hours and hot meals will be served twice daily until campus reopens. The staff who are able to safely make it to campus will prepare a variety of options with the food on hand. In the event of a major storm, options may be limited if delivery trucks are unable to reach campus.

Power outages - what to expext

In the event of a power outage, the Housing Community Center and the Greenery in the CAB have emergency generators. The main campus boiler which provides RAD with the steam necessary to provide heating and domestic hot-water service also operates on emergency power.

Puget Sound Energy supplies our campus with power; for the latest service alerts, visit their website.

If all generators are operational, this is what students can expect:

  •     In our apartments, the generators will provide fire and smoke detection, heating and domestic hot/cold water
  •     The apartments will NOT have lights, electricity, WiFi, or internet during a power outage
  •     In the MODs, there will be no hot water, no heat, and no electricity. Fire and smoke detection will be available for 20 hours via backup battery
  •     The Housing Community Center (HCC) has a generator and will be our emergency staging location. The HCC will have domestic hot/cold water, heat, WiFi, and electrical outlets for charging phones and computers. If staff are able to safely make it to campus, our POD Market will be open as an optional location to buy food and other necessities
  •     If the roads are accessible, the 41 and 48 buses will be running to and from campus, although the bus loop near A building may be on a detour and buses will need to be caught by Red Square on the main campus
  •     Internet will only be available in the HCC
  •     During a prolonged power outage, particularly with snow, the HCC will be the only building available to residents that provides emergency power
  •     If appointments need to be made for the HCC to manage safe occupancy levels, we will send information via email

Campus food

Here is what to expect at the Greenery during school closures and power outages.

The Greenery has an emergency generator and will be able to serve grab and go food to the best of its ability. Hours of operation will turn into weekend hours and hot meals will be served twice daily until campus reopens. The staff who are able to safely make it to campus will prepare a variety of options with the food on hand. In the event of a major storm, options may be limited if delivery trucks are unable to reach campus.


Lead paint

Buildings A, B, C and D were built in 1971; the Mods were built in 1973. They may contain lead-based paint. Lead from paint, paint chips, and paint dust can pose health hazards if not managed properly. Lead exposure is especially harmful to young children and pregnant women.

The hazard associated with properly managed lead paint is relatively low. Housing has chosen to encapsulate rather than remove the material. This strategy is consistent with federal and state regulations.

Fire safety

Fire alarms

When a building fire alarm is activated, everyone must evacuate per the International Fire Code regulation 404 and Evergreen's evacuation procedures.

When an individual room's smoke detector is activated, the occupier of the room is required to call the on-duty Resident Assistant immediately and remain in the room until the Resident Assistant arrives, determines the cause of the activation, and either resets the alarm or calls for assistance.

Alarm procedure

In case of a fire, remain calm. Never re-enter a burning building to save your personal possessions.

If you discover or suspect a fire, pull a fire alarm and leave the building by the nearest exit. While exiting, attempt to warn your neighbors by banging on doors that you pass.

When an alarm, a shouted warning, or the sensation of smoke or fire has alerted you:

  •     Keep low to the floor to avoid smoke. Unless smoke is present, close windows.
  •     Feel the door before opening it. If it's hot, don't open it. If it isn't hot, open the door carefully. If smoke or heat is present, close the door and stay in the room. Seal the cracks around the door with whatever is handy (a towel, etc.). Call 911 and report that you are trapped. Be sure to give them your location. If the phone doesn't work, hang a sheet, jacket, etc., out of the window to at­tract attention.
  •     If the hall is free of smoke or heat, close and lock your door and exit immediately by the closest stairwell. Do not use an elevator! If the nearest exit is blocked, go to another exit.
  •     If all exits are blocked, go back to your room. Close the door, hang something out of your window, and signal for help.
  •     Move quickly in a crouched position when escaping through a smoke-filled corridor. Place a wet cloth over your face and head.
  •     Once outside the building, move away from the building and watch for vehicle traffic.
  •     Do not re-enter the building until you have been given the OK by police, fire officials, or the hall staff. The silencing of the alarm does not indicate the building is safe to re-enter!


Candles are prohibited, unless approved in writing for religious ceremonies.

Candles must be attended at all times and extinguished when the ceremony is over. You will be billed for any damage from candles.



Chemicals and explosives

Chemical storage and all explosive material is prohibited.

Electrical equipment

Electrical equipment is limited to the following UL-approved items unless approved in writing: computers, printers, sound equipment, video equipment, musical instruments, lamps, fans, and small space heaters.

Halogen lamps, space heaters without an automatic turn off, and kilns are prohibited.


All fireworks are prohibited


Open-flame fires are prohibited. Charcoal fires are permitted in provided barbecues.

Smoke detectors

Tampering with, disabling, bagging or otherwise impacting the effectiveness of the smoke alarms is prohibited per the International Fire Code regulation 901.8 and Thurston County Fire Code 14.32.120.

Personal safety

Personal, apartment and unit safety is every resident’s responsibility. Evergreen housing is like other high-density living communities in that crime exists.

The following actions can help protect you, your belongings, and your fellow students. Never leave your door propped open, always find out who is knocking before you open the door, always lock your door when you go to bed at night, do not loan your keys to anyone, do not leave your keys lying around, and report lost keys immediately to the Residential and Dining Services office or the on-duty Resident Assistant by calling campus dispatch at (360) 867-6832.

Communicable disease and insects

You are required to report all communicable diseases or communicable insect infestations to Residential and Dining Services and seek appropriate college, public, or private treatment. On-campus housing will be made available to students with communicable diseases or insect infestation while complying with related federal, state, county, and college policy and procedure. Precautions will be taken by Residential and Dining Services on the advice of appropriate public or private health science professionals.


Emergency transfer

If you are concerned for your personal safety in your apartment or unit, contact the on-duty Resident Director to facilitate an emergency transfer. The Resident Director will meet with you to discuss your concerns and may approve an emergency transfer.


Emergency transfer procedure

After determining that an emergency transfer is appropriate, the on-duty Resident Director will find you a temporary room if one is available. After the situation has been resolved, your Resident Director will assist you in transferring to a new apartment or unit or assist you in returning to your apartment or unit.

If you choose to transfer, you will receive a list of vacant bedrooms to select from and a room transfer form. After you complete and turn in this form, you will receive your keys to your new room. You will have 24 hours to move and check out of your old room.

Exterior door

All exterior doors lock. You are responsible for protecting building security by ensuring exterior doors are locked each time you enter or exit a building. You are prohibited from propping or leaving any exterior building, apartment, or unit exterior door open. You are responsible for securing your bedroom door.


You are required to identify yourself with college ID or other acceptable picture IDs at the request of Residential and Dining Services professional staff, campus police officers and Residential and Dining Services Resident Assistant student staff.

Responsibility to self and others

You are required to demonstrate responsible behavior for yourself and to others. If you exhibit behavior that indicates you may be a danger to yourself or a danger to others, you may be required to be evaluated by a licensed professional to determine the best course of action for you and the residential community.

Walking at night

Evergreen is a relatively safe environment to walk in at night, but assaults can and do happen. Be aware of your space, your environment, and the community you walk in. Be responsible for your own safety and the safety of others by walking at night in pairs or calling Police Services at (360) 876- 6832 and requesting an escort.

Police Services

The Evergreen State College operates a full-function police department with the same enforcement authority and training as any city or county police department in the state of Washington. Police Services works closely with the City of Olympia, Thurston County, and the Evergreen community in sharing the responsibility to provide a safe environment for students, staff, and faculty.

The dispatch center has direct access to state law enforcement computer databases, Thurston County’s emergency center, and all on-duty police, parking and Residential and Dining Services staff. Police Services’ dispatch center additionally functions as the campus operator. For emergencies, call (360) 867-6140 or 911. For non-emergencies, call (360) 867-6832.

Police Services’ website provides information on officers and staff, crime prevention, campus crime statistics, campus maps and directions, parking policies, and non-emergency contact information.


Police Services provides escorts by request to your residence or car. Call (360) 867-6832. Be sure to call ahead as escorts are provided while officers are not performing other police duties.



A disaster is any incident that is so large that it overwhelms the normal day-to-day emergency service capabilities for a given location. At Evergreen, the most likely disaster is an earthquake, but our chances of survival are excellent if we all are prepared. The most important thing you can do is learn to be prepared.
Additional information

Emergency Procedures Guide
Thurston County Emergency Management
Washington State Emergency Management Division
USGA Earthquake Hazards Program

Preparing yourself

Residential and Dining Services strongly encourages residents to think about and prepare for a natural disaster. We encourage residents to assemble an Emergency Supply Kit that contains:

  •     Water: three-day supply
  •     Food: at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food (e.g., crackers, peanut butter, canned goods)
  •     Battery-powered radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
  •     Flashlight and extra batteries
  •     First-aid kit
  •     Whistle to signal for help
  •     Dust mask or cotton t-shirt to help filter the air
  •     Moist towelettes and hygiene supplies for sanitation
  •     Wrench or pliers
  •     Can opener
  •     Unique needs such as medication, eyeglasses
  •     Garbage bags
  •     Space saver emergency blanket
  •     Photocopies of credit cards and ID cards
  •     Cash


The evacuation meeting point for fire alarms and other types of emergencies is the large rock next to the Pavilion (also known as the Thunderdome; it's past the fields, near the Mods).

In emergencies, information regarding shelter, first aid, and food and water will be available at this location: coordinates 47.074259, -122.970534.