Graduation & Commencement
2019 Commencement took place on Friday, June 14 at 1 pm on Red Square. The graduation ceremony is an annual celebration open to all students graduating during the academic year, including summer quarter.
Thank you for joining us in celebrating the class of 2019! The class theme this year was: “In order to succeed, we must first believe that we can.” —Nikos Kazantzakis
Most photos will be available during the week following commencement.
Graduation and commencement
“Graduation” and “commencement” are terms of art. Graduation refers to receiving a degree once Evergreen certifies you have finished and completely fulfilled all degree requirements.
Commencement is the symbolic ceremony marking the closing of your academic career where you receive commendation for your hard work at Evergreen. It is an opportunity for you, your family, friends, and the Evergreen community to celebrate your accomplishment.
This year’s guest speakers have been selected from among our undergraduates, graduates, and the faculty. The selection also includes filmmaker, curator, community organizer, and co-founder Tracy Rector as our keynote presenter.
Commencement: what to expect
- Find out where to park.
- The ceremony will start at 1 pm and last about three hours.
- We ask that graduates and guests remain for the duration of the ceremony. The last person recognized deserves the same support, respect, and celebration as the first. Your presence is part of the graduation experience for all. Graduates, families, and friends will appreciate your thoughtfulness.
- Tickets are not required.
- We recommend early arrival for best seating and parking.
- Graduates are not required to wear caps and gowns, although many do. Evergreen’s graduation is known for creative garb! You can order a cap and gown through the bookstore.
Use the hashtag
Use the hashtag #EvergreenGrad wherever you use social media and we may feature your photos and posts on the big screen during the event.