Study Abroad Resources

a group of students stand around a small sign in the background, the foreground there is a large rock with the inscription "Friendship Trees" in both english and chinese

Experience Evergreen Anywhere

Get Ready 

Preparation is key to a successful study abroad experience! 

Once you have been accepted into your program of choice, you will work closely with the Office of International Programs and Services to plan and prepare for your study abroad experience.

Guidelines and Policies

All study abroad students are expected to be familiar with the following guidelines and policies.

Study Abroad Policies Document 

Application Deadlines

International Programs and Services is here to help students organize and plan. Submitting complete applications by the posted date is the best way to ensure program participation and a successful pre-departure experience. Miss the deadline? Contact the staff to explore possibilities.


Students in good academic standing and who have completed one quarter of study. Transfer students may be accepted.

Students who are not in good academic standing or who have had significant disciplinary history may not be eligible for all opportunities.  


Learning contracts and internship contracts are each limited to a maximum of 48 credits in total over the course of your studies.

Consortium study is limited to one academic year in total. Consortium study is limited to non-United States destinations only, unless explicitly exempted.

Approval and Authorization

All students must complete an application to study abroad. Once all application materials are submitted, they will be reviewed, and an approval or denial letter will be issued.

Students must complete all relevant pre-departure requirements before they will be fully authorized to participate in a study abroad program. Once authorized, students will be registered for their term away. 

Non-Approved Programs

Students may take a leave of absence for up to one year and enroll directly into universities abroad or other U.S. college programs that accept non-matriculated students into their study abroad programs. Later, they can attempt to transfer earned credit back to Evergreen. Students who take a leave of absence may not use financial aid for leave of absence since they are not enrolled at Evergreen. There is also no guarantee that all credits earned will transfer back to Evergreen. Students must make sure they have not already transferred the maximum 135 credits allowed from other institutions. 

Students are encouraged to meet with International Programs and Services if this is of interest. 

U.S. State Department Travel Restrictions

Due to social, political or military unrest, the U.S. State Department issues travel advisories by country. Most U.S. colleges and universities, including Evergreen, use these advisories as a guide.  

Evergreen Academic Program Travel to Canada

Programs traveling to Canada for any duration of time must require participants to complete and submit the following to International Programs and Services at least two weeks prior to travel across the border. Programs that travel to British Columbia do not need to go through the application and pre-departure process as other international programs.

  • Sign Study Abroad Enrollment agreement and Risk and Liability release documents
  • Complete the international Student Emergency Information form
  • Submit a copy of passport ID page

The Office of International Programs & Services will:

  • Enroll US passport holders in the STEP program
  • Enroll all participants in the college's international insurance plan with CISI (cost should be included in course fees)

Medical Considerations

International Medical Insurance 

Per state law and college policy, students are required to have medical insurance that covers travel abroad. The insurance plan must meet the following minimum  requirements:

  • $25,000: Travel Accident/Illness
  • $100,000: Emergency Medical Evacuation to the U.S.
  • $25,000: Repatriation of Remains in the event of death

Certain governments around the world have laws that restrict entry of persons infected with a communicable disease. This may include HIV-AIDS, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), Tuberculosis, and Avian Flu Strain H5N1 among others. Because each condition and country is different, students should contact International Programs and Services if they currently have or previously had a communicable disease. 


Students with disabilities are highly encouraged to pursue study abroad opportunities. Because the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 are U.S. laws, these laws do not generally apply beyond the geographical boundaries of the United States. Students in other countries usually are dependent on the laws of the country where they are studying for purposes of what academic accommodations, if any, they are legally entitled to. Evergreen is committed to assisting students in exploring reasonable accommodations, prior to the program start date. Reasonable accommodations are determined by the student's individual needs, the host society, staff capacity, cost and other factors. If reasonable accommodations are unavailable in the student’s program of choice, other program options will be presented for consideration.

Mental Health

Students experiencing serious mental health issues may want to consider postponing plans for study abroad until issues are resolved. Living overseas is more likely to aggravate mental health issues than resolve them and often counseling and drug therapies are not available. Students who are unsure of their readiness to study abroad due to mental health concerns should consult with the Counseling Center. 

Prescription Medications

A number of countries have strict regulations about the types of medications brought into the country for stays of over 4 weeks. Any student who is under the prescription care of a doctor also needs to research and follow the regulations established for bringing restricted medications into their destination country. This information is usually posted on the embassy site for that country.


Evergreen reserves the right to disenroll a student from a study abroad program at any point in the pre or post-departure process. Students who exhibit serious disciplinary, medical or mental health problems, who pose a threat to others or themselves or who otherwise violate program covenants or Evergreen’s Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities may be disenrolled and asked to leave the program.

Identity Abroad 

A student’s identity should be factored into study abroad planning. The traditions, customs, laws, religious norms, social norms, available resources, gender roles, disability services, etc. of any given country or culture can challenge our own identity characteristics and needs.

Use these resources to learn about studying abroad while navigating your intersectional identities.

Black Students

Diversity Abroad's Black Students' Guide to Global Programs

STAMPED Podcast: A podcast designed to bring you episodes that highlight the study abroad stories of Black and African American students and industry professionals

Traveling with natural hair

Are there similarities in the Black experience abroad?

LGBTQ+ Students

Legal Resources

ILGA Map of Sexual Orientation Laws in the World: International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA)

Equaldex – LGBT+ Laws by Country

Travel Resources 

IGTLA: The International LGBTQ+ Travel Association

40 Safety Tips For LGBT Travelers

Other Resources

Being LGBTQ+ in Japan

5 Uncomfortable Questions About Travel To Anti-LGBT Destinations


For more in-depth resources, check out the Evergreen LGBTQ+ Resource Guide!

Evergreen Study Abroad LGBTQ+ Resource Guide

This content is always evolving, if you have feedback about the resources listed here or would like to suggest a resource, please reach out to the Office of International Programs and Services. 

Studying Abroad as a DACA Recipient 

Learn more about Financial Support for Undocumented Students

DACA recipients may apply for ‘Advance Parole’ to seek legal permission to travel abroad and then return to the U.S.  

What is Advance Parole? Permission granted by the Department of Homeland Security that allows certain noncitizens to temporarily travel outside the U.S. and return lawfully.  

Advance Parole Process

Advance Parole Checklist

1. Required Documentation

  • You must have a current, valid DACA grant 
    • You cannot apply for Advance Parole while your initial DACA request is pending or if your DACA has expired.  
  • Employment authorization document 
  • Passport from your country of origin

2. Qualifying Reason to Travel Outside the U.S.

Do you have a qualifying reason for travel abroad based on one of the following categories?  

  • Educational: Study abroad programs, academic research or student athlete traveling for sporting events
  • Employment: Overseas assignments, interviews, conferences, trainings or client meetings  
  • Humanitarian: Travel for medical treatment, attend funeral services for a family member or visit an ailing relative  

3. Seek Legal Counsel 

Before choosing to apply for Advance Parole, Evergreen suggests you consult a qualified immigration attorney as it is important to consider the potential legal, practical and personal effects of travel abroad. 

Checklist Before Legal Consult 

  • Most recent DACA application 
  • All DACA approval notices  
  • Employment authorization document 
  • Valid passport 
  • All prior immigration records  
  • All prior records from tickets, arrests, charges and convictions  
  • Information on the study abroad program (possible sources listed below) 

Be sure to disclose any of the following information to your attorney, as it may affect your ability to travel:

  • Prior order of deportation/removal or case in immigration court 
  • Any criminal convictions (even if there was no impact to DACA eligibility)  
  • Immigration-related fraud or misrepresentation to the government 
  • Prior departures from the U.S. without permission to re-enter 
  • DACA renewal timeline 
    • Plan to be in the U.S. to apply for DACA renewal and for your biometrics appointment. Do not travel during the time that your DACA expires.  

4. Apply for Advance Parole

Evergreen recommends you apply for Advance Parole as far in advance as possible and at least 3 months prior to your departure date.  

Be sure to review detailed information, such as where to file, fees, special instructions, etc.

What do you need to apply for Advance Parole?  

  • Fill out the USCIS Form I-131 Advance Parole application
  • Write a statement of purpose explaining in detail your purpose for traveling abroad and intended dates of travel 
  • A copy of your DACA Approval Notice or work permit 
  • A copy of an official ID, such as EAD card, state ID card or valid passport  
  • Two passport-sized photos
  • $575 filing fee payment payable to the “Department of Homeland Security” 
  • Connect with the Office of International Programs and Services to determine which documentation you can include 
  • Gather documentation of your reason for traveling. This may include any of the following: 
    • Letter from educational institution confirming program participation  
    • Document showing enrollment in classes/course registration  
    • Course syllabi  
    • Acceptance letter from the university and/or overseas institution or program  
    • Program-specific information (dates, locations, itineraries, lodging, etc.)  
    • Letter(s) from professors  
    • Degree plan  
    • Research proposal  

5. Receive Advance Parole 

You must be granted Advance Parole before leaving the U.S.. You should receive form I-512L, which will be needed to re-enter the U.S..  

6. Re-entering the U.S. on Advance Parole 

Upon return, you will go through Customs and Border Protection Inspection. Make copies of any initial Advance Parole application documents, your I-512L, your passport ID page and visa (if required for travel). Leave a copy with a trusted source, like an attorney, and keep one copy with you.

To prepare for any Customs and Boarder Protection questions, carry the following documents: 

  • Your passport from your country of origin (valid at least six months after the date of return)
  • Advance Parole documents  
  • Evidence of reason for trip 
  • Employment Authorization Card  
  • A copy of DACA approval notice 
  • State ID or driver’s license  
  • Your attorney’s business card or contact information 

Where will re-entry be processed?
Immigration and customs processing takes place in the first U.S. airport you arrive. Those with Advance Parole can go through the visitor or residence/citizen lines and must speak to an officer. Since Advance Parole takes extra administrative steps, you will likely be escorted to a separate room for processing. This does not mean you’re being detained. Processing can take several hours and connecting flights should be scheduled with this in mind.

What questions might the officers ask?
They will likely ask questions about your trip (reason for travel, duration of travel, countries visited and addresses where you stayed).  

What documentation is given at re-entry?
Make sure to get a keep proof of lawful re-entry (a stamped copy of your Advance Parole document and/or stamp in your passport). Once you get through customs, you can print your I-94 online, which demonstrates proof of lawful entry into the U.S.

What are the risks of re-entering with Advance Parole?  

  • Advance Parole does not guarantee re-entry to the U.S. 
  • People who are inadmissible are not allowed to enter the U.S. due to their immigration history, criminal history or other reasons. If you are inadmissible, U.S. officials could deny you entry to the U.S., even if you have a valid Advanced Parole document.  
  • It is possible that re-entry could be denied at the discretion of the Customs and Border Protection Inspection officer you encounter.
  • Your Advance Parole document could be revoked while you are outside the U.S.


Recommended Timeline 

One year before (or earlier) departure  

  • Ensure you have a valid passport from your country of origin that will not expire until at least 6 months after your return to the U.S.
  • Make sure your DACA approval is current and will not expire during the time that you intend to study abroad.  

Six to twelve months before departure 

  • Meet with the Evergreen Office of International Programs and Services to discuss your interest in study abroad, financing options, logistical matters and how the office can provide documentation for a “qualifying reason to travel abroad".
  • Consult with legal counsel.

Six to nine months before departure 

  • Investigate visa requirements for your intended host country.
  • Connect with program administrators to learn about any nuanced information that may impact your experience.
  • Apply to your study abroad program of choice.

Receive program acceptance (no later than three months prior to departure)  

  • Apply for Advance Parole
  • Prepare for your time abroad 
  • Plan your financial support 
  • Prepare and make copies of all documentation  
  • Review webpage for more details  
  • Complete requirements from your study abroad program  

International Travel and SB5194 

According to Senate Bill 5194, students’ residency classification “shall remain unchanged in the absence of evidence of a sufficient quantity and quality to satisfy the institution to the contrary.” (WAC 250-18-025)

If you are a student who has gained residency through this bill, studying abroad will not impact your Washington State residency status. You can access in-state tuition during and after your study abroad experience. All Evergreen residency questions should be directed to the Veteran Resource Center.

Health & Safety

Health and Wellness

International Health Insurance

All students studying abroad are required to purchase or have an international health plan. Speak to the Office of International Programs & Services with any questions about student health plans abroad. 


Many countries require certain vaccine records prior to or at the time of entry. To find out which are required and recommended, visit the US State Department Country pages. Don't delay this process! You may need a series of shots with weeks between each dose. 

Travel Immunizations can be received at Olympia Travel ClinicProvidence Travel Medicine, your doctor's office, or other local providers.

Assess Your Health Needs and Risks in Host Country

All countries have health risks. It is very important that you make yourself aware of these risks so that you may take precautions. Precautions may include immunizations, preventive medications, insect protections, avoidance strategies, food and water safety, preparing for environmental and climate risks, among others. 

Review your health conditions for your planned study abroad situation. Remember that anything that has been a health concern for you in the U.S. is likely to continue, or be even more challenging when studying abroad. 

International Organization for Medical Assistance to Travelers
U.S. Centers for Disease Control
World Health Organization
U.S. State Department: Country Information
U.S. State Department: Your Health Abroad

Consult with a Healthcare Provider

Evergreen does not require your health provider signature or approval as part of this process. However, it is recommended that you consult with one or more of the following as part of your health and safety planning:

Emergency Procedures

Emergency Contacts

In the event of an emergency, your first points of contact abroad are:

  • The Evergreen onsite faculty director
  • The program service provider onsite director
  • The international office at the host institution
  • The closest U.S. Consulate or Embassy in the host country

If you cannot make contact with in-country support or if additional assistance is required, contact Evergreen Police Services who will contact the appropriate crisis management team members to assist. 

Police Services | 360-867-6140 | Open 24/7

Emergency Contacts for Families and Program Directors

The Evergreen Police Services Office is the first point U.S.-based contact for all emergencies involving Evergreen students, faculty and staff participating in or working in support of programs and exchanges abroad.

If an emergency situation occurs abroad, Police Services should be contacted as soon as possible and will be able to contact appropriate crisis management team members to assist you.

In the Event of a Local Emergency 

  • The program director contacts participants to ascertain participants' well-being and to provide information, instructions and advice.
  • The program director reports the situation to Evergreen as soon as contact can be made.
  • The program director contacts the local U.S. embassy, consulate or interest section and confers with other study abroad providers and/or U.S. enterprises in the area.
  • Depending on the situation, the program director may or may not gather the participants together in a group.
  • Participants are advised to contact their parents, guardians or emergency contacts as soon as possible.
  • Depending on the severity of the situation, Evergreen may also report to participants' emergency contacts.
  • If the students are on an organized excursion outside of the program city and there is a civil emergency, the program staff member in charge of the excursion shall take the students to a secure location and contact the onsite director and Evergreen for instructions.
  • If the students are traveling independently, an effort will be made to contact them according to the contact information and itineraries they have left with the program staff. The student will be advised as to the proper course of action.
  • After the onsite director notifies Evergreen that the group is safe and accounted for, they will arrange for air transportation of program participants to the U.S. if possible, or to another safe destination. Evergreen will communicate with the students' emergency contacts to inform them that this process is underway. In the event that students cannot fly out as a group, they will depart as seats become available. In the event that air transportation is interrupted or deemed unsafe, the practicality and safety of other transportation modes and exit routes will be assessed and utilized as appropriate.

Local Contingency Plan for Courses Abroad

Each Evergreen course abroad has a contingency plan which will be activated in case there is a known local condition that requires (a) extra caution, (b) removal of the program to a different site in the same city, same country or a nearby country, or (c) suspension of a program and evacuation of participants. Institutional exchanges and study abroad programs that exist outside the operational control of Evergreen maintain their own emergency protocols. Interested parties should contact these institutions or program providers directly for details.

Smart Traveler Emergency Program (STEP)

Register with STEP

The Smart Traveler Emergency Program (STEP) is "a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate." In case of local emergencies, the U.S. Bureau of Consular Affairs will provide information and possible evacuation in extreme circumstances. Registration takes 5-10 minutes to complete. 

Register with STEP

Review Risks in Your Host Community 

The U.S. State Department assesses all countries for travel safety. Review their Country Information Pages for details on crime, civil unrest, terrorism, health concerns, etc. As you review the data, make a plan for how you will mitigate potential risks. 

International Programs - Study Abroad


Office Hours

  • Monday - Friday, 9 am to 5 pm