Student Project Support

Here to help you with lab and field science project support.

Student Project Support 

SCC support staff are here to help you with your research needs whether you are working on an individual learning contract, starting your spring project, or working on your masters research!

Science Instructional Technicians can assist with lab and field science research projects for:

  • Academic programs
  • Individual learning contracts
  • Master of Environmental Studies research
  • Student originated studies, undergraduate research and advanced research credits
  • Registered student groups

Project Support Process

  • Go over these forms with your faculty or advisor and get their signatures of approval:
    • Student Project Request form
    • Equipment and Chemical Request form 
    • Chemical Facts worksheet 
  • Get signatures on your forms 
  • Submit the completed forms:
    • Academic program project students: Once you have all your forms, submit this completed paperwork to your program's scientific instructional technician.
    • All other students: Once you have all your forms, submit to the Science Support Center at least two weeks before you want to begin. A scientific instructional technician will be assigned to you after you submit your completed forms. 

Your technician will work with the Center to get you the lab space, materials, equipment and trainings that you need.

Individual Learning Contracts with Science Support

Completing Your Independent Learning Contract

  • Go to My Evergreen and select "Individual Study Contracts". Once there, follow the online application prompts. Visit Internships and Individual Study for more information about completing contracts.
  • Indicate your project needs "Science Support" when you apply online
  • “Accept Contract” after “Getting Feedback” so we can issue your contract's "Science Support Approval".

Keep in mind due to limited resources and availability, approval is not a guarantee that equipment, lab space and/or technical support will be available within your timeline, but we'll do our best to make it happen for you.

Paying for Consumable Materials

Some materials, such as filters, pipet tips, or special orders, are considered “consumables” and need to be purchased. Talk to your faculty advisor about whether purchases are covered by program or research budgets, and what the budget limit is. Some research students or student activities obtain funding through the Clean Energy Committee Award or the Student Capstone Fund.

Collecting Animals for Research

Collecting Permits

Interested in collecting animals (vertebrate and/or invertebrate) as a component of your research?

Evergreen currently only has state permits that cover salvage of terrestrial vertebrates (i.e. organisms that are already dead) and collection of marine animals. You must work under the supervision of the faculty who is listed on the collecting permit and permits are not modifiable with respect to taxon, location or gear.

The state permitting process takes a minimum of two months for review and costs $120, so advanced planning by your faculty is necessary for collecting events outside of existing permits.

In accordance with state and federal guidelines, if living material is collected and release is intended, it must occur immediately following collection in the place of capture. It is not permitted to release organisms once they have been brought to the laboratory.

Completing Forms

The Student Project Form outlines your research project and helps determine what lab space, specialized equipment and trainings you need.

You should attach any supporting literature and drafts of your methodology you might have. You do not need to know your complete methodology before you start the process. It's likely that you will make changes and need to request additional items once your research has begun.

The Equipment and Chemical Request Form should be filled out with what you know you will need at the start. You can always submit additional forms later as needed.

Student Club and Organization Support

Meet with your student activities advisor to explore opportunities.

Learn more about Student Activities

Graduate Student Access

The Lab 1 and Lab 2 buildings have assignable research space for Master of Environmental Studies students doing research work. The assignable research space is stocked with common equipment like pH meters, balances and fume hoods, and you can check out additional equipment specific to your project after it is approved.

Contact the staff and faculty leads listed with specific instrumentation questions.

Learn more about MES
MES Student Resources

If you have any questions or need help working through the process, email us to schedule a time to come in for assistance.