Pregnant and Parenting
Under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, schools that receive federal funding must not discriminate against students on the basis of sex, including based on an individual's pregnancy, childbirth, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy, recovery, or parental status. The Evergreen State College is committed to providing equal opportunities to all individuals, and creating an environment that fosters respect for all.
Individuals who wish to discuss or request adjustments based on pregnancy, childbirth, nursing parents, or related conditions should contact the following offices:
- Students should contact the Title IX Coordinator at email@example.com, or (360) 867-5224
- Employees should contact Human Resource Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or (360) 867-5361
Rights of a Student
- Continue to participate in schooling and activities
- To take a leave and return to Evergreen with the same status
- Create a plan with your faculty to progress even with childbirth related absences
- Access temporary, reasonable adjustments (physical, academic, social)
- Be in an environment free from harassment and discrimination
- Have an interactive process with campus partners to benefit your experience
For concerns of discrimination or harassment, please contact the Title IX Coordinator or submit a Title IX Report.
Students have rights and responsibilities in requesting adjustments. Students should start by setting up a meeting with the Title IX Coordinator (email@example.com) to discuss individual needs and reasonable adjustments. Adjustments are different for every individual student, but may include:
- Larger desk or physical adjustments
- Breaks during class as needed
- Excusing absences due to pregnancy-related conditions (may require a medical professional's note)
- Providing alternatives to make up missed work
- Rescheduling of exams or deadlines
Please note that a "reasonable adjustment" is one that does not require significant difficulty in the operation of a faculty's program or class, or significant expense for the college, with consideration to factors such as the size of the college, financial resources, and nature and structure of the college. Specific and requested adjustments are not guaranteed; requesting adjustments is an interactive process and will be determined on an individualized basis to match the needs of the student without placing undue hardship on the classroom/faculty. It may be necessary to provide a medical professional's note for specific adjustments.
To talk about reasonable adjustments and set a plan regarding your care, please contact the Title IX Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Evergreen State College Olympia campus provides one community lactation space for all members of the community to use: SEM II, D2112.
This room has one space, and is available for any Evergreen student, faculty, staff, or community member. Storage of personal belongings or milk is not permitted.
This room shall remain open at all hours every day of the week, and has the ability to lock from the inside. For access into the SEM II building after-hours, please contact the Title IX Coordinator to check out a key.
Any concerns of misuse must be reported to the Title IX Coordinator at email@example.com.