Under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, schools that receive federal funding must not discriminate against students on the basis of sex, including based on an individual's pregnancy, childbirth, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy, recovery, or parental status. The Evergreen State College is committed to providing equal opportunities to all individuals, and creating an environment that fosters respect for all.
Individuals who wish to discuss or request adjustments based on pregnancy, childbirth, nursing parents, or related conditions should contact the following offices:
- Students should contact the Title IX Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (360) 867-5224
- Employees should contact Human Resource Services at email@example.com or (360) 867-5361
Rights of a Student
- Continue to participate in schooling and activities
- To take a leave and return to Evergreen with the same status
- Create a plan with your faculty to progress even with childbirth related absences
- Access temporary, reasonable adjustments (physical, academic, social)
- Be in an environment free from harassment and discrimination
- Have an interactive process with campus partners to benefit your experience
For concerns of discrimination or harassment, please contact the Title IX Coordinator or submit a Title IX Report.
Students have rights and responsibilities in requesting adjustments. Students should start by setting up a meeting with the Title IX Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss individual needs and reasonable adjustments. Adjustments are different for every individual student, but may include:
- Larger desk or physical adjustments
- Breaks during class as needed
- Excusing absences due to pregnancy-related conditions (may require a medical professional's note)
- Providing alternatives to make up missed work
- Rescheduling of exams or deadlines
Please note that a "reasonable adjustment" is one that does not require significant difficulty in the operation of a faculty's program or class, or significant expense for the college, with consideration to factors such as the size of the college, financial resources, and nature and structure of the college. Specific and requested adjustments are not guaranteed; requesting adjustments is an interactive process and will be determined on an individualized basis to match the needs of the student without placing undue hardship on the classroom/faculty. It may be necessary to provide a medical professional's note for specific adjustments.
To talk about reasonable adjustments and set a plan regarding your care, please contact the Title IX Coordinator at email@example.com.
Evergreen has a lactation space for all community members, located in COM 349. Students may check out keys to this space through the Title IX Coordinator by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report misuse or concerns related to the Lactation Spaces on campus, please email the Title IX Coordinator at email@example.com.