BIPOC & LGBTQ+ Intersectional Support Services

5 colorful paintings on a concrete wall

You are welcome to bring your whole self here. Evergreen provides support services for students of color and LGBTQ+ students on campus.

BLISS Mission Statement

BIPOC & LGBTQ+ Intersectional Support Services provides holistic support services to students, faculty and staff to foster an environment in which everyone can be their authentic self. We center BIPOC, trans, queer, undocumented and DACAmented students in order to dismantle barriers that have historically impacted underserved students in higher education. Community is built through events, workshops and offering a gathering space (the Student Equity and Arts Lounge), all of which value, uplift and amplify diversity, equity and inclusion on campus. Students are connected with resources on campus and in the greater Olympia community. We are committed to cultivating a culture of belonging that adapts to your needs.

What We Do

BLISS strives to enhance the educational experience, retention and graduation of students of color and LGBTQ+ students. We do this by:

  • Supporting academic, personal and career matters, academic interventions and innovations
  • Providing referrals to on and off-campus resources
  • Creating campus-wide educational and cultural programming in support of diversity and inclusion
  • Providing community building and belonging activities

A Home Away From Home

The Student Equity and Arts Lounge is a welcoming and inclusive space for studying, meeting up with friends, attending a workshop or just taking a minute to recharge.

Comprehensive Academic, Social and Personal Advising

Our trained professional and peer advisors are on hand to help you navigate and understand your Evergreen experience, and to support you as a whole person. Working with us means getting help from people who get you! Our team can help you:

  • Find your community
  • Join fun events and activities
  • Meet with an academic advisor
  • Receive peer and professional support
  • Develop skills for advocacy and allyship
  • Find space for discovering your identity

Support for Undocumented Students

Learn about resources and support for undocumented students available at Evergreen.

Applying for Admission

Evergreen welcomes applications from all students, regardless of residency status. You don’t have to be covered by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. Visit the Admissions page to apply. Undocumented students should use the Evergreen Application, rather than the Common Application.

Eligibility for In-State Tuition

Through Senate Bill 5194, Washington state allows anyone with a high school diploma or GED earned anywhere in the world who resides or establishes residence in Washington state for at least 12 consecutive months prior to enrollment to be eligible for in-state tuition. The Washington residence must be for purposes other than college. If a student takes any courses at another Washington college during the prior 12 months, they cannot have taken more than six credits in any given term. Students exceeding that limit must prove that they have a Washington residence for non-college reasons.

To see if you qualify, see the Washington State Higher Education Residency Affidavit (PDF). 

Check out this flyer about about how Washington is making college more affordable:

The Registration and Records Office can answer questions about this process.

Legal Resources

For students making decisions about DACA status, the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project has published an advisory.
The Northwest Immigration Rights Project also provides help with DACA renewal.
Register for a DACA Renew Clinic here.

DACA and Study Abroad

Students with DACA status may be eligible to travel internationally for study abroad with advance parole. Visit the Study Abroad and DACA webpage to learn about the advance parole requirements and process.

Contact Evergreen's Office of International Programs and Services ( to discuss your interest in study abroad, financing options, logistical matters and how the office can provide documentation for a “qualifying reason to travel abroad”.