Housing Tragedy Leaves One Dead, Three Injured

Dec 12, 2023
Press Release
evergreen logo image placeholder

Note: An update to the information in this press release was sent out on 12/19/23

OLYMPIA – One Evergreen student is dead and two injured with symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning, after a student residence manager called campus police when not able to contact the students Monday evening, December 11.

An Evergreen police officer performed emergency CPR after breaking down the door around 8:30 pm. Two students were taken to area hospitals. The officer himself was also hospitalized but released this morning, according to Evergreen Police Chief David Brunckhurst.

McLane Black Lake Fire Department promptly responded to the scene and conducted carbon monoxide testing in the impacted areas. Later Monday evening, campus officials contacted all Evergreen students in nearby campus housing to make sure they were safe.

Earlier in the day, a contractor working on campus in an area of housing called the Modular Apartments responded to carbon monoxide alarms, according to campus officials. 

An investigation is being led by the Washington State Patrol and further details will be released as they become available.

“This is a tragedy, and we grieve for our students and families,” said Evergreen President John Carmichael. “The safety of students, staff and faculty remain Evergreen’s top priority.”  


For information about the Washington State Patrol investigation, contact:

Chris Loftis, Communications Director
Washington State Patrol
(360) 485-3983