Full Text of the Policy
An incomplete is recorded whenever, for reasons the faculty sponsor deems satisfactory, the student has not completed the required work but could complete it given some additional time or whenever delays in reporting have occurred. At the evaluation conference, the faculty should make clear to the student the work to be completed, and a timetable for completion. The incomplete form will indicate the expected date of completion as well as a date, three academic quarters (including summer quarter) when the incomplete will automatically convert to a NCR if the student work is not complete. Faculty may not award incompletes for unfinished faculty work.
- Faculty members initiate the incomplete and submit it to the student, who is requested to acknowledge the incomplete. If a student does not acknowledge it, the faculty has three options:
- Award reduced credit;
- Give no credit, or
- When conditions ake it difficult for the student to acknowledge the incomplete, confirm the incomplete on behalf of the student.
- The maximum deadline for completion of the incomplete work is the end of the third quarter following the filing of the incomplete. In the case of work left incomplete in the spring quarter the deadline for completion is the end of the next winter quarter. Of course, student and faculty can agree to a shorter deadline, but not to a longer deadline. At the end of the maximum deadline, any unresolved incomplete will automatically convert to a NCR.
- Exceptions to the automatic conversion to NCR can only be obtained by faculty petition and approval by the deans.
- Adjunct faculty may not award incompletes with a due date beyond the end of their current contract without consultation with the dean overseeing evaluations.