Services Provided by Police Services
Evergreen Police Officers are here to support your learning experience. We conduct our duties with the values of The Evergreen State College in mind.
Evergreen Police Services was formed as a support organization within The Evergreen State College. Police Services is a department within the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and is primarily responsible for the safety of the community. Police Services also ensures that all community members are treated with respect by supporting The Evergreen State College Social Contract.
Evergreen Police Officers are here for you. We want to ensure that nothing interferes with your right to learn and live at Evergreen. Our goal is that you should be able to go about your daily life at Evergreen without fear of interference, harm, or loss from others. Though colleges and universities are by nature a safer environment, incidents that affect you can occur.
Types of Incidents that Interfere with the Learning Experience
- Sexual harassment
- Sexual assault
- Deadly weapons incident (active shooter)
- Natural or human-made disaster
- Injuries or accidents
- Alcohol or narcotics addiction
- Traffic collisions
Evergreen Police Preventative Work
The Evergreen Police take the following measures to prevent incidents from happening:
- Conduct visible foot, bicycle, and vehicle patrols
- Coordinate ongoing informational dialogues with other student support groups
- Provide escorts
- Be prepared to respond to natural disasters or violent incidents
- Train the community in disaster preparedness
- Be accessible and approachable by students
- Be open to feedback from community members
- Collaborate with student, faculty, and staff organizations
Response to Incidents
Evergreen Police will take the following steps when incidents occur:
- Respond quickly to the scene
- Intervene and detain if necessary
- Investigate thoroughly
- Document the incident
- Refer student violations to the Campus Conduct Officer
- Coordinate with other agencies: mental health and counseling, student conduct, Office of Sexual Violence Prevention, alcohol and narcotics addiction counseling and treatment
- Arrest if necessary
Response to Criminal or Dangerous Incident
The Evergreen Police follow the below procedures during a potentially dangerous incident:
- Make the scene safe
- Come to a resolution
Criminal Justice System vs. Campus Conduct System
It is the practice and preference of Evergreen Police Services to handle minor misdemeanor crimes through referral to the Campus Conduct Officer. This process allows the student to learn from incidents, avoid facing criminal charges and the resulting consequences. Evergreen officers do retain the option to arrest, at all times, rather than use the conduct process.
Consequences of arrest may include:
- Jail time
- Suspension from Evergreen
- Refusal of financial aid (felony crimes)
- Denial of the right to vote (felony crimes)
- Denial of the right to possess firearms (felony crimes)
The conduct process is intended for minor misdemeanor, first time offenses and violations of the Student Conduct Code. The conduct process is only available to students of Evergreen State College.
Examples of crimes that may be referred to the Campus Conduct Officer may include:
- Alcohol violations
- Shoplifting or misdemeanor theft
- Minor acts of vandalism
- Possession of marijuana paraphernalia
- Possession of marijuana (misdemeanors only)
If a student is detained for committing the same crime again, the student may be arrested (custodial or criminal citation). If a student is detained for committing a different minor crime, the officer may choose to arrest or refer to the Campus Conduct Officer.
Students or others who commit felonies, crimes of violence, domestic violence-related crimes, weapons violations, or crimes of a sexual nature will be arrested and booked in the Thurston County Jail.
Evergreen Police Officers and the Evergreen Community
Evergreen Police Officers are community members of the Evergreen State College. As community members, we support the values stated in the Evergreen Social Contract:
- Freedom and civility
- Individual and institutional rights
- Evergreen's role in greater society
- Prohibition against discrimination
- Individual right to privacy
- Intellectual freedom and honesty
- Open forum and access to information
- Lawful political activities
Evergreen Police Officers, the Campus Conduct Officer, and the entire Student Affairs staff are here to help maintain an environment that is conducive to your learning experience. At all times, you will be treated in a respectful and courteous manner. We will constantly seek out opportunities for dialogue with community members about police or campus issues.