Dependent Benefits

Dependents of veterans may be eligible for financial assistance. 

Veterans Administration

The Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35) provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

The program offers up to 45 months of educational benefits. Spouses have up to 20 years from the date of death or disability to use these benefits and dependent children must use these benefits before the age of 26.

In order to apply for this program, you will need to have a copy of the service member's DD-214 (discharge paper), a copy of the death certificate or disability rating letter and proof of relationship. Apply by filling out a VA form 22-5490.

Learn more about Chapter 35 benefits at Veterans Affairs.

"My father is a United States Air force veteran, and transferred his GI Bill® benefits to me. [As a] dependent of a veteran, I felt very welcomed at Evergreen. Anytime I have found that I needed assistance or had an inquiry about something, I found that I was well taken care of by the Veterans Resource Center. I was assured all of my needs as a student had been met and all questions had been answered. I am very happy with my decision to use my GI Bill® benefits through The Evergreen State College." 

Alexandra Drake
Alexandra Drake