Becoming a Driver

Most students, faculty, and staff are eligible for an Evergreen vehicle use permit.

(Effective March 1, 2022, Evergreen Vehicle Driver Permits has moved to Parking Services, SEM 1 3157)

You must have a permit before you can use any vehicle from the fleet.

Driver Requirements

To be eligible for a permit, you must meet all of the following conditions:

  • Valid U.S. driver’s license
  • 18 years old or older
  • Two or more years of fully licensed driving experience
  • Clean driving record, with none of the following within the past (2) years: any suspension/revocation of license for reckless driving, hit and run, leaving an accident scene, failure to appear, DUI or other vehicle-related felony; or for multiple traffic offenses (2 moving violations/infractions in 12 months/3 moving violations/ infractions in 24 months) resulting in a  Conditional Status driving record or subsequent suspension/revocation of license.

Driver Responsibilities

You are expected to drive defensively, be courteous, and obey all traffic laws. Additionally, you are required to:

  • Restrict passengers to employees, students of the college, or other people on official college business.
  • Make sure that everyone in the vehicle uses a seat belt while the vehicle is moving.
  • Make sure that no one smokes or consumes alcohol in the vehicle.
  • Lock the vehicle when not in use.
  • Pay any traffic or parking fine resulting from driver negligence.
  • Check oil and water levels regularly when on overnight trips.
  • Report all accidents and damage to the vehicle to the Motor Pool office immediately.
  • Complete all required accident reports and turn them in to the Motor Pool office.
  • Return vehicles to the appropriate location on time and in a clean and presentable condition.
  • Notify the motor pool office if the vehicle cannot be returned on time.

How to Get an Evergreen Use Permit

Before you can use a college vehicle, you need to get a Use Permit. You also need to renew this permit every two years. If you are involved in a crash with a college vehicle and are found at fault, we may revoke your use permit.

  • Students need advanced faculty/supervisor permission to obtain a use permit. Have your faculty, supervisor, or Student Activities advisor send us an email ahead of time.
  • Complete the Canvas Course.

Bring the completed release forms to the Motor Pool / Parking Services office in SEM 1 Office 3157, along with your valid driver's license and Evergreen ID.

When applying for a first time permit or renewing an expired permit, you'll need to sign forms authorizing us to see your driver's history report and acknowledging your responsibilities driving an Evergreen vehicle.