Conflict Resolution

The deans can help you resolve conflicts in your program or course, or with your faculty.

If you have already tried talking to your faculty and have not been able to resolve your concerns, you can approach a dean. Faculty are assigned to groups led by a specific dean. See the list of deans’ groups to help you determine which dean you need to talk to.

After you contact our office, you should be able to get an in-person meeting with a dean within a week. After the initial meeting, we may need to gather additional information and talk to your faculty.

If several students in your program or course are encountering the same problem, we're happy to meet with you as a group. If you have been working with other offices on campus about this issue, you may want to bring whomever you’ve been working with.

If you want your meeting to be confidential, we’ll discuss your situation and see whether that’s possible given the specific complaint. In some cases, we may be required by law to provide information to the Title IX Administrator.

Specific Concerns We Can Discuss

Below are some examples of student concerns that deans can address. This is not a comprehensive list of topics! If you have a concern and you’ve tried to resolve it directly, please let us know as soon as you can.

  • Content of program that does not match description or syllabus
  • Missing syllabus or contract
  • Not enough or too many hours of class per week
  • Disregard for accessibility accommodations (See Access Services for more information about accommodations.)
  • Inappropriate or disrespectful faculty behavior
  • Late or missing evaluations

Concerns About Evaluations and Credit Awarded

Once credit is posted, you have 30 days to contest an evaluation if you believe that it is inaccurate, missing important information, or that the credit awarded is inaccurate.

The first step should always be to contact your faculty within 30 days to ask for a resolution. Be prepared to provide supporting evidence, including the syllabus and covenant, at any meeting you have with your faculty.

If you are unable to resolve the issue directly, make an appointment with their dean. Again, you will need to provide evidence to back your claim that your evaluation or credit was incorrect.

Review the full credit dispute policy.