Assistive Technology (AT) Lab
We are located on the main floor of the Library in room 2318.
Read and Write Gold — free download for all students, staff, and faculty!
Read and Write Gold is a robust software application that contains reading, writing, studying, & research tools, and integrates with common applications such as MS Word, and Adobe .PDF files. It has many functions including screen reading and dictation capabilities! All you need to access this download is your Evergreen login credentials (username and password), and an internet connection. Please note that this may take up to 30-45 minutes to install, depending on your internet speed.
- Download Read and Write Gold for PC (Installation instructions for PC)
- Download Read and Write Gold for Mac
For more information about Read and Write Gold, please visit TextHelp's webpage.
What we have available in our lab:
Three computers with scanners, on adjustable height tables loaded with the following software.
- Read & Write Gold
- Dragon Naturally Speaking — Speech Recognition, STT
- Inspiration — Executive Function support, Visual and Organizational
As well as CCTV, Ergonomic Keyboards, Alternative Mice, Keyboards with Large Letters and Dragon Certified Headsets for dictation.
Types of Assistive Technology
- Screen Reader or Text-to-Speech (TTS) a software application that interprets what is being displayed on the screen (headings, text, hyperlinks and accessible photos), then presents it to the user with text-to-speech.
- Speech Recognition or Speech-to-Text (STT) translates spoken words into text. It is also known as "automatic speech recognition", "speech to text", or just "STT" Used to dictate text or control a computer.
- Executive Function Support Software Assists with Organizational Tasks, Time Management, Planning and Mind Mapping, Visual Learning and Thinking
- Screen Magnifier Software application that visually magnifies everything on a computer screen.
- Daisy Reader Software or Hardware used for listing to daisy formatted books. Used for students with Visual Impairment or Learning Disabilities.
Contact AT Lab
Coordinator, Assistive Technology Services
The Evergreen State College
Office - Library 2314