Work at the Writing Center
Are you a curious person who loves to help others? Are you eager to grow as a student of writing, tutoring, and, by way of conversation with a wide variety of students, all topics taught at Evergreen? You may be interested in interviewing to become a peer tutor at the Writing Center!
Peer Writing Tutor Positions
Tutoring responsibilities include:
- Meeting with student writers at appointed times and applying concepts and practices learned in Cultivating Voice in sessions
- Participating in conversations and activities that help the Writing Center cohere as a community of practice
- Supporting the Writing Center's work by completing independent and collaborative projects around publicity, editing, workshops, and research.
Olympia and Tacoma Campus
Olympia student tutors hold appointments both in-person and online from the Olympia Campus. Tacoma student tutors work predominantly online, with some in-person hours on the Tacoma Campus.
Requirements & Training
Applicants should be welcoming, responsible, and community-minded. They should have strong attention to detail, be quick to ask clarifying questions, possess good (and growing) time management and task prioritization skills. We are an encouraging, supportive environment, and we take pride in each tutor's unique abilities as they relate to the work of the Writing Center.
Students interested in becoming a peer tutor at the Writing Center are also required to take a two-credit course, Cultivating Voice: A Writing Tutor’s Craft, offered every Spring.
Learn more in the Academic Catalog
Cultivating Voice: A Writing Tutors Craft
This two-credit course is offered each Spring Quarter to interested peer tutors. Students who enroll in Cultivating Voice: A Writing Tutor's Craft are preparing to deeply examine their own writing process and listening process and to unpack the sociopolitical implications of engaging with their own and others' voices.
Cultivating Voice: A Writing Tutor's Craft no longer requires an application or other prerequisites. At the end of spring quarter, you are welcome to apply to be a writing tutor starting the following fall quarter. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hours & Pay
New Tutors may work a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 14 hours per week during their first quarter.
Returning tutors may work between 8 and 19 hours per week, depending on budget.
Tutors start at $16.50/hour
Winter, Spring and Fall Quarters
- Week 8: Apply our 2-credit course, Cultivating Voice. Learn more in the Qualifications section.
- Once accepted to the course, you will register with provided instructions
- Take the Cultivating Voice course. Complete the coursework over the quarter and learn about tutoring!
- Week 10: Peer Tutor Interviews. Interview for a tutoring position with the Writing Center admin team.
- Eval week: Peer Tutor position offers sent. Respond to an offer for employment for the coming fall.
- Orientation Week: Complete Peer Tutor employee training
- Weeks 1-10: Begin your journey as a tutor!
Peer Tutor roles are are for the academic year. Students hired in the Spring are expected to tutor for the whole year, but accommodations can be made for study abroad or mid-year graduations.
Peer Tutors receive continued training throughout the year. Students who wish to continue after their first quarter as a tutor will meet for a short interview to confirm their continued employment.
If You're Not Hired
There are a limited number of tutoring positions that we can hire for in any given year. We still wholeheartedly recommend that you take the Cultivating Voice Course and apply if you have any interest at all in being a tutor! If you do not become a tutor this year, it may be possible for you to re-interview for the following year.
If you have any questions about working at the Writing Center, please email us at email@example.com. We look forward to seeing you on the next step of your personal, professional, and academic journey!
- Olympia Campus
- Mailstop LIB 2300
Monday-Thursday, 12pm-7pm in-person or virtual Friday and Sunday, 12pm to 4pm virtual only