Mathematical, Physical, and Computer Sciences
Offerings that have been cancelled for this year or next year.
No courses or programs are available for the options you have selected.
Summer offerings are listed beginning in late January or early February each year.
Build, model, experiment, and code. Reason logically and creatively about computational, mathematical, and physical systems. Work with modern computing and research technology.
Note: You can join or leave a Path of Study at any time and your credits will always count toward your Bachelor’s degree.
Careful observations of computational, mathematical, and physical systems reveal an underlying order, which mathematicians and scientists seek to understand, explain, and predict through model building, experimentation, logical reasoning, and creative insight. Studies in Chemistry, Computer Science, Geology, Mathematics, and Physics prepare you for careers and graduate study in a variety of fields, from alternative energy to cybersecurity to education to climate science. You will:
- Gain hands-on experience with cutting-edge computing, lab, and research technology throughout your science studies.
- Engage directly with faculty and your classmates, learning collaboratively through an interdisciplinary and context-based lens.
- Develop the skills and practices that you’ll need as you join the ranks of mathematicians and scientists who seek to understand and explain the structures of the world around us.
- Design and carry out individual and collaborative projects; these often lead to advanced research and other kinds of independent capstone projects.
Ultimately, you’ll become an analytical and ethical scientist and citizen, an effective team member, and a creative problem solver, with the skills to convey complex ideas to diverse audiences.
Programs offered 2019-20
- Computer Science Foundations
- Matter and Motion
- Atoms, Molecules, and Reactions
- Mathematical Systems
- Data Structures and Algorithms
Programs planned 2020-24
- Analyzing Permaculture Systems
- Mathematics in Geology
- Chemistry Counts
- Computer Science Foundations (annual)
- Matter and Motion (2020-21); Modeling Motion (2021-22) (alternate years)
- Physical Systems and Applied Mathematics (2020-21 and every 2 years)
- Mathematical Systems (2021-22 and every 2 years)
- Atoms, Molecules and Reactions (2021-22 and every 2 years)
- Environmental Analysis (2020-21 and every 2 years)