International Student Employees

Social Security Number and Card

If you already have a Social Security Card, bring it to the Student Employment Office for verification.
If you do not have a Social Security Card: After you have been offered a job, ask your supervisor for a signed letter that briefly describes your job offer, position and hours per week. Bring this letter to the Coordinator of International Programs where they will prepare a verification letter for you to take to the Social Security Office to apply for a Social Security Card.

The Social Security Office is located at 402 Yauger Way SW, Olympia, WA 98502, close to the intersection of Harrison and Cooper Point Road. Make sure to take your verification letter, your Passport, Visa and I-20 or DS-2019 with you.

You may use a letter from the Social Security Office to temporarily fulfill the ID requirement until you receive the original Social Security Card in the mail.
Once you receive your card, bring it to the Student Employment Office so that a copy may be made for your file.

International students may work on campus under the same rules as all other students:

  • Must be admitted and enrolled fulltime during the current quarter,
  • Maximum 20 hours per week when classes are in session,
  • May work up to 40 hours during break and evaluation weeks,
  • May work during summer quarter, if eligible.