Student Rights and Responsibilities

Student Members of the Evergreen Community:

Congratulations! You have become a member of our community and now share with all of us the right to, and responsibility for, maintaining the conditions under which learning can flourish. Let me tell you more about what this means.

While at Evergreen, you have all the rights afforded to you by the state of Washington, including right to due process if charged with a violation of one of our campus regulations. You also have the right to seek redress should you be negatively affected by the behavior of others. In addition, you must abide by the laws of the state of Washington, and the special regulations that apply to behavior on our campus.

This document, "Rights and Responsibilities–Yours and Ours," explains many of Evergreen's special goals and regulations. The place to start learning about these is the Social Contract, our unique statement of conditions necessary for positive educational relationships. Some of the values set forth in the Social Contract exist as ideals which cannot and should not be formulated as regulations, but over the years the College has created a wide range of specific policies and processes that flow from the Social Contract.

If you have not read the Social Contract, I encourage you to do so and to strive to live by its principles. If difficulties arise in academic programs, in housing, in your relationships with other students, in parking, in athletics, or in other areas, the other more detailed grievance and appeals procedures may well apply to you (Code of Student Rights & Responsibilities).

What an institution views as important is often embodied in its policies and procedures. In reading this document, you will understand what we value as a community. Grievance policies require adherence to procedures and deadlines. If you become involved in a grievance, your knowledge of the specific content of this document could be critical. Should you have any questions about the content of this publication, please call me at 360-867-6296.


Wendy Endress
Vice Provost for Student & Academic Life

Table of Contents


How to use this Document

This document contains a collection of policies and guidelines likely to be useful to students. The information in this document is especially important to students who find themselves in conflict with another person at the college or with a college policy. This introduction describes some important general principles underlying the policies in this document, provides some help in deciding which policies to refer to in specific cases, and describes some additional resources and sources of help.

General principles

Direct communication

Many of Evergreen's core values and aspirations are described in the Social Contract. The authors of the Social Contract described a college that protects the right of individuals to express unpopular and controversial points of view and that values intellectual freedom and honesty. In such an environment, conflicts inevitably arise. The Social Contract says that "All must share alike in prizing academic and interpersonal honesty, in responsibly obtaining and providing full and accurate information, and in resolving their differences through due process and with a strong will to collaboration." This means that, as a general rule, most conflicts should be addressed through direct and honest communication among the people involved. Like most general rules, this one requires some qualification (for instance, in cases involving discrimination, including sexual harassment).


Direct communication would not be wise if it would compromise personal safety. Students who believe that their personal safety or the safety of the community is at risk should contact the Police Services Office (360-867-6140). The office is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. In addition to receiving the training necessary to become commissioned police officers, Evergreen's police officers receive additional training in areas such as conflict resolution, assisting survivors of sexual assault, and other topics that will better enable them to serve the college community. Police Services is located at Seminar 2150.

Sexual Assault

Trained advocates are available to survivors of sexual assault. Police Services Officers (360-867-6140), the Campus Grievance Officer (360-867-5113), or the Sexual Assault Prevention Coordinator (360-867-5221) can help students get in touch with advocates. The section on Sexual Assault provides additional information for survivors of sexual assault.

Discrimination and Sexual Harassment

Evergreen is committed to creating a discrimination-free environment and has developed policies and practices for addressing allegations of discrimination, including sexual harassment. Students who believe they may have been victims of discrimination or sexual harassment may also use state and federal systems for pursuing their complaints. The section titled Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination provides some additional information about these options. The President's Special Assistant for Civil Rights is available to assist students in understanding the options available and can be contacted at 360-867-6386 (Library 3103).

Which Policy Applies?

The policies and guidelines published in this document describe several additional processes for addressing grievances and resolving conflicts. When the general principles described above do not address or resolve a conflict, one of the processes listed below may be appropriate. This section is intended to help students determine which processes may be useful to them in specific situations. In some situations, a student may find that none of the processes in this document seem to apply or that more than one process seems appropriate. The office of Student and Academic Support Services (360-867-6034) and the office of the Vice Provost for Student & Academic Life (360-867-6296) can assist students in understanding their options.

Other students

If a student has a grievance against another student and the general guidelines described above do not apply, it is likely that one of the following two processes might be used to address the grievance:

  • If both students live in the residence halls and the conflict is centered in Housing, the Housing dispute resolution process may be appropriate. The process is described in the Housing Handbook. Residence Assistants can answer questions about the Housing process. Contact Housing at 360-867-6132.
  • In most other cases, grievances against students are pursued through the process described in the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities (PDF). A student wishing to pursue a complaint through the Student Conduct Code would contact the Director of Student Rights & Responsibilities (360-867-5113). They might decide to seek a resolution by following the process in the Code of Student Rights & Responsibilities or might refer the complaint to another dispute resolution process.

Complaints involving discrimination, including sexual harassment, may be directly referred to the President's Special Assistant for Civil Rights (360-867-6386).

Members of the faculty

The Academic Policies section of this document may be helpful to a student having a dispute with a member of the faculty. The section outlines the specific process for resolving a dispute over academic credit or the content of student evaluations. Other disputes with faculty that are not addressed by the general principles described above can be referred to the Academic Deans' office (360-867-6870).

Student Employment

The Student Employment section of this document describes the process for resolving conflicts related to student employment. The Student Employment Office (L1102, 360-867-5520) can assist students and employers with their questions about the grievance process. The office serves as a neutral contact for students with disputes related to their employment at the college.

Other conflicts

Many areas of the college have processes for resolving conflicts specific to those areas. Several of these processes are included in this document. For instance, the Parking Policies section describes the process for appealing parking fines to an infraction review board composed of students, faculty, and staff. If none of the processes described above or included in this document seem to apply, the office of Student and Academic Support Services (360-867-6034) and the office of the Vice Provost for Student & Academic Life (360-867-6296) can provide additional assistance.

Important resources

Below are some important resources and situations in which they might be used. For additional help, students can contact the office of the office of Student and Academic Support Services (360-867-6034, Library 2153) or Vice Provost for Student & Academic Life (360-867-6296, Library 3009).



Places to Go – People to see

On Campus:

Some Example Situations with Suggested Resources

Common situations in which you might find yourself. The numbers after each refer to the Resources listed above.

Academic Issues

Social Issues

Medical and/or Health Issues

Legal Issues


Police Services Office: Questions of law or safety

Special Assistant for Civil Rights: Questions of Civil Rights, discrimination or harassment

First Peoples' Advising: Variety of support for students of color

Employee Assistance Program: Off-campus, confidential problem-solving assistance

Access Services: Questions regarding ADA

Human Resource Services: Questions related to employment


Parking Regulations


Drivers and owners of vehicles on the property of The Evergreen State College are responsible for safe and lawful operation of those vehicles. Individuals operating or parking vehicles on college-owned property must at all times comply with the campus regulations, ordinances of Thurston County and laws of the state of Washington.


Whenever an unattended vehicle is observed in violation of the regulations, the parking or public safety department shall take the registration number and other identifiable information and shall fix to the vehicle a parking infraction in a conspicuous visible location.

Responsibility for illegal parking

Parking–Prohibited places

Impounding of vehicles


Deciding whether to pay or contest a notice of infraction

The notice of infraction issued pursuant to these regulations shall direct the alleged violator that he/she may elect either to pay the fine applicable to the violation charged or to request a review with the infraction review committee within ten calendar days of the date of the infraction.

Appeal / hearing procedure

Appeal/hearing procedure–Rules of evidence: The rules of evidence applicable to courts of law do not apply. Any oral or documentary evidence may be received. The chairperson of the infraction review committee may exclude evidence as is irrelevant, immaterial or repetitious.

Appeal/hearingProcedureReview decision: Upon conclusion of the review and/or appeal, the chairperson of the infraction review committee shall render the decision of the review committee as to appropriateness of the assessed fines. The decision shall be recorded in the records maintained by the parking office and the secretary of the infraction review committee shall endorse his/her signature therein, certifying the record to be correct.

Appeal/hearingMitigation and suspension of fines: Upon the showing of good cause or mitigating circumstances, the infraction review committee may impose any lesser fine than those established in WAC 174-116-260 of these regulations or may dismiss the fine. The chairperson may grant an extension of time within which to comply with the review and/or appeal decision. A person charged with a parking infraction who deems himself or herself aggrieved by the final decision in an internal adjudication may, within ten calendar days after written notice of the final decision, appeal further by filing a written notice with the parking office indicating their intention to pursue the infraction through the civil courts. Documents relating to the appeal shall be maintained for such court process.

WAC Sections: Parking Regulations

Responsibilities Driving On Campus: Questions And Answers

Where may I park?

In any marked stall in a designated parking lot. If you hold a permit for B, C and F lots, you may NOT park in the MODS lot without a clearance from the Parking Office or (after Parking Office hours) Police Services. MODS lot permit holders may park in any lot. All other areas are prohibited to parking.

Are there time restrictions?

The parking in all areas other than B, C, or F lot is time restricted and signed as such. Some stalls in B lot are restricted to one-hour parking and are marked as such; a one-hour pass from the Parking Booth is required to park in these stalls.

If I need to park in a restricted area, what do I do?

Phone the Parking Office, 360-867-6352, to request a clearance. Be prepared to give car make, model, color, location and license plate number. If the request is granted, you must vacate the spot by the time agreed upon. Otherwise: unless you are cleared, you are liable to being cited. Don't assume you are cleared by leaving a message at the office. When the Parking Office is closed, call Police Services, 360-867-6140.

I received a parking ticket and want to contest it. What do I do?

You must file an appeal within ten days of receiving the citation (as stated on the back of the citation). Appeals are read by the Infraction Review Committee, which represents the campus community: two students, one faculty, one classified staff and one exempt employee compose the committee. Appeal forms are available at the Parking Booth and the Parking Office.

Can't the Office just tear a ticket up?

Sorry, no. Being licensed to issue citations by the Attorney General means that we may only cancel tickets which are in obvious error or which are one of a few well defined special cases. Mitigating/extenuating circumstances must be heard through the appeal process.

Why not build more parking lots closer to classrooms and make parking free?

Evergreen has a long history of environmental activism. We try to be as responsible as possible about our impact on the ecosystem surround the College. Parking lots have serious consequences for storm water runoff and habitat for salmon and other species. We need to be aware of the costs of parking-both financial and ecological-while working toward more sustainable transportation alternatives.

Why do Evergreen police patrol the Parkway?

Although the Parkway is used by many non-Evergreeners, it runs through college property and falls under the jurisdiction of the College's Police Services. Over the years, there have been a number of serious accidents on the Parkway that have led to many requests from community members for increased traffic enforcement.


Pet Policy


Habitating In Unauthorized Places

Purpose. In the interest of health and safety, and to preserve campus ecosystems, The Evergreen State College expressly prohibits overnight habitation by any person in any place on the campus, including its buildings.

This prohibition does not apply to:

Penalties for violation. Any person who violates the above section may be referred to civil authorities for appropriate prosecution, including prosecution for violation of the law of criminal trespass. Students may be subject to the Student Conduct Code for repeated violations of this policy.

WAC Sections: Habitation Regulations


Related Documents

Housing Policies

Enrollment Services Regulations, Available in Enrollment Services, L1221.

Athletics and Recreation Users' Covenants and Policies, Available in the College Recretion Center office (CRC 210).

Student Athlete Handbook, Available in the College Recreation Center office (CRC 210).