Required Tests

You must attempt a basic skills assessment and one or more content area assessments to be admitted to the Master in Teaching program.

Washington State requires that you attempt the WEST-B and complete WEST-E/NES tests prior to being recommended for certification. See the Washington Educator Skills Tests site for registration, preparation materials, and more details. There are restrictions on how often you can take the tests and how often scores are reported, so plan ahead.

Washington Educator Skills Test-Basic (WEST-B)

Aspiring teachers have three options for satisfying the Washington State basic skills assessment requirement: attempt the WEST-B, submit SAT scores, or submit ACT scores. The WEST-B has three sections: reading, writing, and math. You can take the sections separately or all together.

Washington Educator Skills Tests-Endorsements (WEST-E)

Washington State defines subject areas for teaching as areas of endorsement. Aspiring teachers take a multiple-choice test (WEST-E or NES) for each endorsement they choose.

A passing score for a WEST-E test is 240 and a passing score for a NES test is 220. Foreign language endorsements have additional testing requirements. (Learn more about endorsements.)

EndorsementLevelWEST-E Code
Biology5–12NES 305
Chemistry5–12NES 306
Earth and Space Science5–12NES 307
Elementary EducationK–8NES 102 & NES 103
English Language Arts5–12NES 301
English Language LearnersP–12051
Mathematics5–12NES 304
Middle Level Humanities4–9052 & 053
Middle Level Math4–9NES 203
Middle Level Science4–9NES 204
Physics5–12NES 308
Social Studies5–12028
Theatre ArtsP–12055
Visual ArtsP–12NES 503
World Languages: French, Japanese, or SpanishP–12100*

* Foreign language endorsements also require the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) or computerized interview (OPIC) and the Written Proficiency Test (WPT) from Language Testing International. These proficiencies must be passed at the advanced low level.

Out of State Applicants

If you are currently living outside of Washington state, you may be able to take the WEST tests in your area. See Washington Educator Skills Test website for locations and availability.

Washington State also allows certain substitutes, such as Praxis CORE and CSET, for the WEST-B if you live out of state at the time you apply for a MiT program, see the Professional Educator Standards Board website for a complete list.

You will need to take the WEST-E tests for your endorsement areas when you arrive in Washington, if not available in your area.