Employment and Internships

International students on F-1 and J-1 visas have specific rules to follow when working while studying in the U.S.

What is Employment? 

In a simple form, employment is providing work in exchange for compensation. Unauthorized employment is in violation of F-1 and J-1 statuses, which can cause the status to be terminated and/or impact one's future status in the U.S. 

Generally, any international student seeking employment should connect with the Office of International Programs & Services before accepting a position. 

Options and Details for F-1 Status

Options and Details for J-1 Status

What is an Internship? 

An internship is the opportunity to engage in practical experience training as a part of one's education. It is related to one's academic focus at Evergreen. 

F-1 Status: Curricular Practical Training and/or Optional Practical Training

J-1 Status: Academic Training 

What is Volunteering? 


  • is when one donates their time to an organization with a charitable mission
  • is unrelated to the student's academic focus
  • does not provide compensation of any kind. 

International students must remain enrolled full-time at Evergreen and cannot seek academic credit for their volunteer services.

You may volunteer at hundreds of organizations off campus according to your interests. The Center for Community Based Learning and Action on campus is a great resource for volunteering opportunities.

F-1 and J-1 status allow this kind of volunteer activity without special permission.

If you have any questions at any stage of the process, contact the Office of International Programs & Services. We're here to help! 



Evans Hall 2153