Checking Out of Housing
Know what to expect as you prepare to move out of on-campus housing. Every year some residents incur unnecessary charges for cleaning, keys, or not checking out properly. We want to make the check out process smooth for you.
Checking Out in June
What to do before checking out:
- Attend your RA’s community meeting to discuss cleaning standards, how to properly donate any unwanted items, and other important checkout information.
- Meet with your room/suite/apartment mates and complete an Exit Living Learning Agreement (PDF), recording how you and your room/suite/apartment mates will divide up the cleaning of shared common spaces and who is responsible for any damages in those areas (to avoid everyone being billed for damages that an individual caused).
- Exchange summer contact information with your roommates and make a plan for communicating if you receive charges for shared space.
- Return furniture to original locations and arrangements.
- Update your mail forwarding address here.
Clean your space using the following checklist:
- Remove all trash and recycling, scrub trash and recycling bins inside and out.
- Clean all tile/vinyl/laminate floors. Remove any stains on carpets.
- Mirrors, windows, & sills: Remove gum, stickers, food, paint, or anything else and wipe down.
- Ceiling, walls & doors: Remove posters, stickers, tacks, tape, nails, etc.
- Desks, bookshelves, dressers, cabinets & furniture: Empty and clean.
- Mattress: Shake off any debris, and wipe down.
- Extra Furnishings: Remove all household furnishings that you brought.
- Grounds: Pick up & remove trash from around your unit.
- Toilet & Sink: Clean, wipe all counters and surfaces of cabinets.
- Shower & Tub Room: Remove all soap scum, dirt and mold from shower/tub. Take shower curtain down, using a mild soap, sponge wash off any soap scum or mold, rinse, and re-hang.
- Lounges inside of A, B, and C will be closed on Wednesday, June 12th at noon.
- Take all recycling, compost, and trash to the main collection areas.
Complete all of the following actions to avoid a $100 Improper Check Out fee:
- Close and latch all windows in your space
- Close and lock your door(s)
- Check out before the 5:00 pm deadline of Wednesday, June 12, 2019.
- Personally turn in all keys and sign your checkout paperwork*
*Note: If checking out over the weekend or after office hours prior to June 12, you must notify the RAD Front Office personnel and make prior arrangements for the retrieval of your keys to avoid fees.
How to check out
- Check your mailbox for the last time.
- Pack and remove all belongings from your room and shared common areas.
- Clean your room and shared common areas.
- Lock your door(s) & window(s), and turn in all of your keys to RAD.
Monday, June 10 and Tuesday, June 11
10:00am - 9pm
2nd Floor of A Building
Wednesday, June 12
8:00am - 6pm
2nd Floor of A Building
- You must still check out even if you have lost your keys.
- Because we provide housing over the summer to students and conferences, we cannot allow keys to be mailed or brought back later.
What happens after checkout
- A room assessment will be conducted after you check out and any cleaning/damage charges will be posted on your student account.
- Around June 20, you will be notified by email to your Evergreen email address of any damage or cleaning charges that will be billed to your student account.
- All residents of the apartment/unit will be billed equally for cleaning/damage costs to the common areas unless one person responds using their Evergreen email taking full responsibility for the damage by Friday, July 5, 2019.
- If you are concerned about someone you live with not taking responsibility for charges after the school year ends, you should contact the RAD Front Office as soon as possible before June 12.
- Residential and Dining Services provides loaner brooms and vacuums.
- As the date of move out approaches, vacuums are in greater demand, please plan accordingly.
- We do not provide cleaning supplies.
- All bikes will be removed from bike racks and impounded after 7 am on Wednesday, June 19.
- IT Bus Service will be suspended to the A-Building loop from Monday June 10 through Wednesday June 12. The nearest stop is the Library Loop.
- Parking will not be allowed in any fire lanes and will be strictly enforced.
- Summer resident room transfers will be coordinated through the Residential and Dining Services Front Office prior to checkout.
- Donate any usable items to be redistributed to those in need.
- Start early, plan ahead to reduce waste.
- Recycle all items early. The bins located throughout Residential and Dining Services fill quickly.
- Take your usable items (working appliances, kitchen ware, clean clothing, furniture, electronics, decorative items, school supplies, books, holiday decorations, etc.) to these donation stations:
- Your floor lounge in A, B, and C buildings
Your Residential and Dining Services contract ends at 5:00 pm on Wednesday, June 12, 2019.
- Anyone who does not check out by the end of their contract will be evicted, billed $100 for an improper check out, billed a $300 late check out fee, charged for lock change(s), and charged an impound cost for storage and handling of any items left in their room.
- If you have any questions, speak with your RA or stop by the RAD Front Office on the 3rd floor of A-Building between 8:30 am and 5 pm, Monday through Friday or call (360) 867-6132.
Spring Quarter Late Check-Out Request
If you are graduating, have work commitments on campus, or an academic reason (evaluation or final), for requesting to stay in housing past 5 pm on Wednesday, June 12, 2019, you are required to submit a Late Check-Out Request form.*
*Any reason for Late Check-Out (other than graduation) requires an email verification from your faculty or supervisor (which includes dates and times of your commitment) to be valid.
- An extension of the Check-Out date is granted by Residential and Dining Services (RAD).
- If the extension has been approved past Wednesday, June 12, you will be notified of the date and time that you must clean your space and have keys turned in to RAD to avoid the $300 Late Checkout Fee.
- Note that there will be no extensions past 10:00 am on Saturday, June 15, 2019.
A Late Check-Out Request form must be submitted by 5:00 pm on Wednesday, June 5 for your extension to be considered. Submission of this form does not grant the request for a late check-out. You will be notified when your request has been approved.
Call the RAD Front Office at (360) 867-6132 with any additional questions about checking out.