Benefits to Living on Campus
Students love living in campus housing because it provides the right mix of convenience, cost, and access to great events and other activities.
It’s good for you
Data shows that students who live on campus are more engaged in our learning community. Compared to first year students who live off campus, first year students who live on campus are:
- Twice as likely to study or work on a project with other students at home
- 23% more likely to say their living situation had a positive impact on the ability to make friends
- 19% more likely to attend campus events and activities
- 18% more likely to say that Evergreen contributed to their understanding of people from other backgrounds
- 16% less likely to move during the school year
- 12% more likely to have discussions with people with differing political views
Source: 2018 National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE).
Things to do
Living on campus allows you to be close to all the social and educational opportunities Evergreen offers. There’s always something happening on campus, whether it’s a club meeting, an event, a hike in Evergreen’s woods, or lunch on Red Square with friends.
The Housing Community Center
The Housing Community Center (HCC) is a multi-purpose area that also acts as a big living room for you to meet with friends or attend the many events scheduled throughout the year.
Play pool, ping ping, foosball, or just hang out while you’re doing your laundry in the first floor of A Building.
Over a dozen social spaces are scattered throughout the Residence Halls. Many have HD TVs and digital cable where you can watch the Seahawks or your favorite shows with your friends. Some spaces are designated as study areas with tables and whiteboards. Plus there’s the Nook and RADAR on the second floor of A Building.
Sun kitchen and courtyard
Our new community kitchen faces the outdoor courtyard at the heart of A, B, C, and D buildings. Cook meals with your friends while looking out the large windows at the courtyard where you can play foursquare, frisbee, or just watch the grass grow.
Housing Community Center
Meet with other residents, pick up your mail, do your laundry, watch HD TV, and purchase essentials from the POD Market. Enjoy evening and weekend programs such as open mic, talent shows, community bingo, stand up comedy, or live music.
“Living on campus is convenient for my classes and I feel like I am in the heart of Evergreen and truly feel like a member of the community.”
Operated by student volunteers, the Free Store is located in the Housing Community Center. Items donated and available for free often include clothing, books, CDs, kitchen utensils, and much more. You can donate items, find things you need, or be a volunteer. Hours of operation vary each quarter.
Residents can reserve one of twelve garden plots to grow their own fresh produce. The beds were designed and built as a collaboration between residents, staff, and the Community Gardens student group. Community gardeners have access to a nearby toolshed.
Free bike use
Explore campus and Olympia by bicycle. We make bikes available to campus residents for free. When you check out a bike, you also receive a helmet, bike lock, and lights. (You can build or repair your own bicycle at The Evergreen Bike Shop in the CAB.) Bring your student ID to the Bike Share Program in the 2nd floor of A-Dorm to borrow a bike.
There’s always something happening on campus, from impromptu hikes with friends to formal events hosted by the college.
And even more
- Play pool, air hockey, foosball, and ping-pong on the first floor of A Building
- Take advantage of campus events and activities
- Tune into student-run KAOS radio
- Pick up a copy of the Cooper Point Journal to keep up on what’s happening
- Not to mention everything else that goes on when you’re outside of class
The biggest perk of living on campus is convenience. You’re so close to the upper campus that getting to class is a breeze—plus the Costantino Recreation Center (CRC) and College Activities Building (CAB) are just a quick walk from your front door. You'll also have Evergreen’s beautiful woods and beach right in your backyard!
- Students get a free membership to the CRC with all its amenities
- Outdoor sports: fields, track, lighted tennis courts, and a sheltered soccer pavilion
- Free outdoor tanning area (weather permitting)
- Close to forest and beach trails
- Easy bus access (ride free with your student ID)
- On-campus health services
- Sports games on the fields, in the sheltered soccer pavilion, or in the CRC