Student Wellness Services
- Make sure student has copy of insurance information and knows how to access insurance coverage.
- Talk with your student about what to do if they become ill:
- For colds & flu can try self-care and/or call the Health Center during business hours.
- For after hours care or urgent/emergent concerns may need to go to Urgent Care facility or ER. The college does not provide transportation.
- Students with chronic conditions should keep contact with care provider at home as well as establish care with a primary care physician in Olympia.
- Make appointment with current physician/provider for a physical exam and discussion with your student the plan for how to manage care needs while away at school.
- Send along basic self-care supplies (first aid kit, cold/flu medicine, thermometer, antacids, Tylenol, Ibuprofen) and any necessary prescription medication. Prescription medication should be kept in a safe place and not shared with other students.
- If your student takes prescription medication, make sure they know how to get medication refilled. There are several pharmacies off-campus on the bus-line.
- If you and/or your student are considering transferring care to Olympia, consult with your insurance company for a list of preferred providers.
- Olympia has few psychiatrists available, so if your student is taking psychiatric medication, please continue to work with the current Psychiatrist until established with a Psychiatrist in Olympia.
- Develop a plan for communicating and checking in with your student. Strategize ahead of time about ways the student might manage stress and make sure they are familiar with available support services on campus in case they need them.
More information available on our website: www.evergreen.edu/health
The Jed Foundation provides information specific to the mental health needs of students: http://www.jedfoundation.org/