Dear Faculty Colleagues -
Yesterday evening’s Academic Fair saw several unforeseen technical problems with Zoom. The simultaneous meeting function that we had requested from Zoom and activated for the event did not work as expected; also, many of the rooms were unstable. These problems did not arise during the test runs we conducted in advance, and we know that the situation was frustrating for many.
Knowing that students may have questions about your summer and fall offerings, we have two alternatives: email and virtual office hours.
We have advised students to email their fall or summer quarter faculty with any questions they may have prior to registration. Please be attentive to your inbox. It will be important to respond to student questions before they register next week.
Virtual Office Hours
For those of you who couldn’t connect with students via Zoom and are hoping to do that (both to make connections and maybe save on email volume), one option is to create a Virtual Office Hour. This may be a clever way to save on some email volume. How?
1. Choose a day/time before Monday registration that works for you.
2. Set up an email autoreply that invites students to a Zoom meeting you have scheduled (visit evergreen.zoom.us to set this up not using Canvas), and share that link.
3. Submit that information in one of the following two ways:
Faculty who have already submitted the academic fair webform
- Login and go to https://sites.evergreen.edu/academicfair/faculty-offerings/
- Find your name – click the Edit link in the Office Hours field to update your entry (Only the faculty who submitted the entry can edit their own)
Faculty who never submitted the academic fair webform and want to get in the Office Hours goodness need to submit an entry athttps://sites.evergreen.edu/academicfair/faculty-registration
For access and simplicity, your Virtual Office Hour details and Zoom link will be provided for students on the Academic Fair website. If you are planning to do virtual office hours, please try to select a time and create the zoom meeting sometime today- as students will be advised they can look at this website for updates starting tomorrow (Friday).
A reminder that registration week begins Monday, June 1. Seniors registering beginning Monday, juniors beginning on Tuesday, sophomores Wednesday, and first-years on Thursday.
The Academic Deans