Health and Safety Committee
- 0-Non Smoking Campus Charge to Health and Safety Committee.pdf
- 1A-Answers to Smoking Charge Questions.pdf
- 1C-UC system rationale for smoke free policy.pdf
- 1D-Maps Comparing Evergreen to UC Smoke Free Campuses.pdf
- 1E-Social Justice Impact of Tobacco.pdf
- 2A-Smoking Survey Summary.pdf
- 2B-Survey and response data.pdf
- 3A-Smoking Town Hall Forum Summary.pdf
- 3B-Town Hall Transcript March 3.pdf
- April 2018 Agenda
- October 2018 Agenda
- November 2018 Agenda
- December 2018 Agenda
- February 2019 Agenda
- May 2019 Agenda
- June 2019 Agenda
- July 2019 Agenda
- August 2019 Agenda
- September 2019 Agenda
- October 2019 Agenda
About this Committee
Completion of Vice Presidents' Charge to Study Becoming a Smoke Free Campus
The Health and Safety Committee has completed its November 2012 charge from Evergreen's vice presidents to “develop a campus-wide process by which the college can evaluate the opportunities, ramification, unintended consequences and associated costs related to becoming a non-smoking campus.”
The charge included several guiding questions and a recommended process for its satisfactory completion. In order to complete this charge, the committee studied other campuses that have gone smoke free; conducted a survey of Evergreen faculty, staff and students; and held a town hall meeting about the college’s current smoking policy. The results of our findings are in the documents above.
1) Decisions at meetings are made by consensus. No action will be taken as long as there is a member present at the meeting who objects to the proposed action.
2) A Chairperson is appointed to serve for a one-year term.
3) Environmental Health & Safety Coordinator shares information, which is mandated by State law to be reported to the committee, with the Chair of the Safety Committee who then decides which parts of that information should be passed on to the whole committee. Some of this information is fairly routine and can be summarized briefly, however someone on the committee should to be informed of the details.
4) An agenda is prepared by the Chair for each meeting and a copy distributed to each member before the meeting. Agenda items for a meeting should be submitted to the Chair at least one week before that meeting. Each agenda item should have a "sponsor" who will be responsible for presenting that item to the committee. After distribution of an agenda, no new item of business can be added, unless adding it is approved by a consensus of the members present at the meeting.
5) State law requires that minutes be kept of each meeting. A recorder is selected to serve for one year. During this year the recorder is not expected to serve on any sub-committees. The recorder takes minutes and distributes them before the next meeting. A tape recorder can be used, providing appropriate confidentiality is respected. At each meeting, minutes of the preceding meeting should be read (or every member should have received a copy) and the committee shall formally approve them by consensus.
6) Attendance is taken at meetings. Absences due to unavoidable events are excused when the Chair is notified before the meeting. Three unexcused absences result in conversation with the Chairperson to discuss resignation from the committee.
Members will serve on subcommittees as necessary:
Specific project investigation and monitoring
Specific drafting of letters or memos as necessary
Members may be asked to help Matt Lebens, the Environmental Health & Safety Coordinator, in the event of an emergency. Examples of situations needing help might be a diesel spill in the creek and the quick need to contain it, an L & I inspection needing a guide, or an air quality emergency requiring quick action.
|Name and Title||Location||Mailstop||Phone|
|Matt Lebens, Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator||Currently contact information is only available to logged in members of the campus community.|
|William (Bill) Mikesell, Coord Emerg Response Planning||Currently contact information is only available to logged in members of the campus community.|
|Emily (Em) Jones, Sexual Violence Prevention Coordinator||Currently contact information is only available to logged in members of the campus community.|
|Teresa Bravenec, Custodian 1||Currently contact information is only available to logged in members of the campus community.|
|Eric Lakewold, Waste Collector||Currently contact information is only available to logged in members of the campus community.|
|Ricky (Ricky Lee) Haney, EHS Support||Currently contact information is only available to logged in members of the campus community.|
|Jacob Peetz, Locksmith Supv||Currently contact information is only available to logged in members of the campus community.|
|Peter Robinson, Science Operations Manager||Currently contact information is only available to logged in members of the campus community.|
|Jacob Usher, Maint Mechanic 2||Currently contact information is only available to logged in members of the campus community.|
January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December