Politics & the Nature of Leadership
Compare offerings and share your lists with others.
Like organs in the human body, leaders do not function in isolation. Leaders need sustenance, security, movement, change, aspiration, love, awareness of their internal and external environments, and... politics. We need politics? Perhaps not. Maybe we need politics just as much as the human body needs a gall bladder. This organ is not vital for us to function, but like politics the gall bladder does help us filter toxins. The existence of politics is a reality, therefore, we need leaders who can access the underpinnings of politics and the consequences of political ideologies. Harold Lasswell stated, “politics is about who gets what, when, where, and how.” If this is the case, then leaders need to be actively engaged in every aspect of politics. However, such engagement in politics can test our character regularly. To this end, Bill George stated, “successful leadership takes conscious development and requires being true to your life story.” As members of a learning community and society, we will endeavor to excavate the nature of leadership and the relational space of politics.
1) Understand the nature of leadership and apply political ideologies through analysis and a white paper.
2) Understand the philosophical foundations of Western political thought, the history of the U.S. Constitution and Tribal Nations, and “otherness.”
3) Define multiple political ideologies, assess the nexus of leadership and politics, and recognize power dynamics.
4) Develop the skills of active listening, analytical thinking, scholarly dialog, effective communication, and professional writing.
Credits per quarter
- Enhanced Online Learning - This offering requires access to web-based tools, but use of these tools does not displace any face-to-face instruction.
Class Size: 15
Scheduled for: Evening and Weekend
Final schedule and room assignments:
First meeting:Tuesday, October 1, 2019 - 6:00 pm
Tues Oct 1 & Nov 12, 6-9p, Sat/Sun Oct 12-13 & 26-27, 9a-4p
Located in: Olympia