An Introduction to Computer Programming in C
Compare offerings and share your lists with others.
This class is an introduction to computer programming --- for those who might think that
programming's not for me!
We'll be studying the 'C' programming language. Students will learn
- fundamentals of the 'C' programming language.
- fundamentals of the Unix operating system.
- how to use a text editor to write programs
- how to use a compiler and a debugger
- how to use the make program to simplify the programming process
We'll also be studying:
- algorithms for sorting and building linked lists
- reading, writing and transforming data, and
memory managementin 'C', and
- using programming for the articulation and solution of certain types of problems.
This class is particularly intended for students from underrepresented communities. No previous experience with programming is required.
The class will meet four days a week, with a two-hour morning session and a two-hour afternoon session. Each morning, the faculty will be giving presentations and lectures on aspects of programming in 'C' and using the Unix system. Every afternoon, there will be workshops and online exercises, for which the faculty will be present for help and support.
The credit breakdown will be:
- Fundamentals of programming in 'C': 4
- Computer Science fundamentals: 2
- Fundamentals of the Unix operating system: 2
This offering will prepare you for careers and advanced study in:
All fields that require the intelligent use of computers.
Credits per quarter
Class Size: 25
Scheduled for: Day
Located in: Olympia
Spring 2020: Contact faculty or check offering in Canvas for first class meeting date and time.