Special Circumstances

Did you miss the priority admissions date?

You can still submit an application for admission after the priority date. Generally, the last day to submit an application for admission will show on the Admissions Home page about a week before admission is closed. You will be contacted by a Credentials Evaluator in Admissions about the documents needed to complete your application. Once your application is complete, it will be reviewed for admission to Evergreen.

Submitting a timely application will ensure that you will receive full admission review, as well as: financial aid consideration, possible tuition waiver and/or scholarship awards, and an early registration appointment.

About the Application - Required Questions, Optional Answers

There are four questions on the application for admission that Evergreen is required to ask, but your response is optional:

  • Are you Hispanic in origin?
  • How do you describe your race:
  • What is your Parent or Guardian's highest level of formal education completed?
  • Were you a former foster care youth in Washington state?

Your truthful answers to these questions are optional. Your responses will be used to support Federal and Washington state programs that address the needs of all college students.

Former foster care youth may be interested in Passport to College or the Washington State Governors' Scholarship.

Do you need an application fee waiver?

The application fee is $50 (USD) and once you pay it, it cannot be refunded. You may use the online application and submit your request for a fee waiver at the end of the form. There are three types of application fee waivers:

  1. You are registered with Evergreen's Upward Bound TRiO Program.
  2. You will qualify for federal or state need grant financial aid money. Your complete and verified financial aid results from the Federal or state processor will be reviewed for financial eligibility. You may use either the FAFSA or the WASFA to apply for financial aid. Your expected family contribution toward the cost of attendance must be $5,234 or less to qualify for an application fee waiver.
  3. You already have an ACT or SAT test waiver, or you qualify for Free/Reduced Meal, or you have a waiver from the National Association for College Admissions Counselors (NACAC).

You will be contacted by a Staff Member in the Office of Admissions about your request.

Your application will not be considered for admission until the fee has been waived or paid. If your waiver request is not approved or cannot be confirmed, you must pay the non-refundable fee for your application to be accepted and reviewed.

Plans Changed? Can't attend Evergreen now?

You can withdraw your application for admission by sending an email describing your changes in plans. Please include the following information in your email:

  • Your full legal name,
  • Your date of birth, and
  • Your student identification number. This number starts with "A" and was printed on the letter that offered you admission.

You can make a one-time request to have your application considered for admission to a future quarter. This is limited to one calendar year. For example, you were admitted to fall quarter 2016: you can request reconsideration for admission to fall quarter 2017, but cannot request reconsideration to winter quarter 2018.

If you cannot enroll at Evergreen, your official transcripts will be held for two years before being destroyed. All documents submitted to Evergreen in support of your application for admission become property of the College and cannot be returned to you, nor can they be reproduced.

How to become a Washington state resident

Current Washington State Residency rules require that in order to be considered eligible for in-state tuition rates, domicile must be established for at least one year in Washington. Domicile is defined as "a person's true, fixed, and permanent home. It is the place where he or she expects to remain, and to which he or she expects to return when he or she leaves without intending to establish a new domicile elsewhere." (WAC 250-18-015)

You can submit a change of residency application to Registration and Records. This office also provides residency information and will process your application for a change of residence.

If you already are a resident, and attended a college or university in another state in the past three years, you may also need to apply for residency. The Credentials Evaluator in Admissions will provide you with more information.

Do you want to appeal the decision to deny your admission to Evergreen?

Write a letter to the Director of Admission and clearly state how your academic achievements have prepared you for study at Evergreen. If you are still attending school, you may wish to include a recent transcript that shows marked improvement.

FERPA - Would you like for your parent(s), guardian, or counselor to obtain information about your confidential records?

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, or FERPA, (20 U.S.C § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of your education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the US Department of Education.

Information about your records can be released only to you. Every office at Evergreen is bound by FERPA—therefore, it includes, but is not limited to the offices: admissions, financial aid, registration, student accounts, and the health center. It is extremely important that you take the responsibility for your college admission and contact Evergreen directly because information cannot be released to your parent(s), guardian, counselor, or friend.

Confidentiality of Records is maintained by Registration and Records.

An afterword from Admissions

Evergreen may not be able to offer admission to all qualified applicants if the number of applicants exceeds the number of enrollment spaces available in the entering class.

The College reserves the right to deny the applicant admission if their enrollment could present a physical danger to the campus community.

Once the college notifies your of your eligibility, you will be asked to send a nonrefundable tuition deposit of $50 (USD) by a stated deadline to assure your place at the college for the quarter of admission. This deposit is an admission processing fee that will be credited toward the first quarter's tuition. Admission and deposit do not guarantee your enrollment in a particular program or course.

Undocumented Students

The Evergreen State College welcomes and supports undocumented students of all ethnicities and nationalities.

Campus Safety

The Clery Act requires colleges to disclose campus security policy and crime statistics. Information about campus safety is maintained by Police Services.