SURF Student Application
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships provide students an intensive summer of research in partnership with faculty. The deadline for student applications is March 13, 2020. Fellows receive a $3,000 stipend for their participation.
Review this year's 2020 SURF project opportunities here: SURF Projects
Download the 2020 SURF Application Form here: SURF Application form
You can find general information about SURF at www.evergreen.edu/academicgrants/surf.
The deadline for student applications is March 13, 2020.
Carefully read the application procedures below before applying.
Welcome to the student application page for the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF). The process requires four steps:
- Review the eligibility criteria and requirements below.
- Review the descriptions of SURF 2020 faculty projects.
- Before you submit your application, communicate directly with the faculty member leading each project to which you plan to apply to determine if you are a good fit.
- Download an application, complete it and submit it as an email attachment to email@example.com
Student eligibility criteria and requirements
Admitted Evergreen undergraduates who will not have completed their current bachelor's degree program (i.e., graduated) before the summer of the fellowship are eligible to apply.
A student who already has a bachelor's degree is eligible if:
- The student is currently admitted to earn another bachelor’s degree at Evergreen; and
- The student has not completed that degree before the summer of the fellowship.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing with no registration holds at the time of award.
- Fellows are not required to work a specific number of hours, but should plan on engaging with the project at least 20 hours a week, and sometimes more depending on the nature of the work.
- The length of the placement is 12 weeks (mid-June through mid-September), though fellows may negotiate with their faculty mentors for flexibility in their schedules.
- Each fellow will receive a stipend of $3,000 for participation, contingent on faculty satisfaction with their work. Students must be eligible for student employment at Evergreen to be abl to receive the stipend.
- Fellows are asked to participate in an opening reception for the program in June and in activities with other fellows during the summer. In the fall, fellows and their faculty will present their summer work at a symposium. Fellows may also be asked to participate in other events throughout the year.