Apply for a Fellowship
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships provide students an intensive summer of research in partnership with faculty. Fellows receive a $3,000 stipend for their participation.
The deadline for summer 2018 fellowship applications is March 5, 2018 at 11:59 pm
Welcome to the student application page for the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF). The process requires four steps:
- Review the eligibility criteria and requirements below.
- Review the descriptions of available faculty projects (PDF).
- Before you submit your application, communicate directly with the faculty member leading each project to which you plan to apply to determine if you are a good fit.
- To prepare to submit your application online, develop your answers in this application worksheet (Word). Then use the document to copy and paste your answers into the online application. Please follow all word limits and avoid quotation marks (" or ') and special characters.
- Submit an application using the online application form.
Student eligibility criteria and requirements
Admitted Evergreen undergraduates who will not have completed their current bachelor's degree program (i.e., graduated) before the summer of the fellowship are eligible to apply.
A student who already has a bachelor's degree is eligible if:
- The student is currently admitted to earn another bachelor’s degree at Evergreen; and
- The student has not completed that degree before the summer of the fellowship.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing with no registration holds at the time of award.
- Fellows are not required to work a specific number of hours, but should plan on engaging with the project at least 20 hours a week, and sometimes more depending on the nature of the work.
- The length of the placement is 12 weeks (mid-June through mid-September), though fellows may negotiate with their faculty mentors for flexibility in their schedules.
- Each fellow will receive a stipend of $3,000 for participation, contingent on faculty satisfaction with their work. Students must be eligible for student employment at Evergreen to be abl to receive the stipend.
- Fellows are asked to participate in an opening reception for the program in June and in activities with other fellows during the summer. In the fall, fellows and their faculty will present their summer work at a symposium. Fellows may also be asked to participate in other events throughout the year.