Step by Step


Academic Programs

  1. Determine whether you can realistically participate in the overseas portion of the program. Will you do alternative work while here, or plan to enroll in another program?
  2. Complete any in-program application and medical forms for the program.
  3. Adhere closely to any required deadlines for steps in the process.
  4. Pay all application fees, deposits, and final payments by the required deadlines.
  5. Pay close attention to passport, visa, and immunization requirements.
  6. Attend all pre-departure orientation meetings.

Approved Partner Programs

  1. Know your application deadlines. The sooner you apply, the more choices you have.
  1. Complete application on-line or using paper forms. Bring a copy to the Coordinator for your Evergreen file.
  2. If your partner program requires an Approval Form, bring this to the Coordinator to complete.
  3. Send official, sealed transcripts from Evergreen and other schools. Allow two weeks or more for Evergreen transcripts ($1.00 a page up to $10.00).
  4. Obtain and send any required faculty letters of recommendation. Faculty sometimes send these directly.
  5. Visualize your acceptance letter!

Individual Learning Contracts

  1. Formulate your ideas for an academic learning contract through your own research, and discussions with faculty, academic advisors, staff, and peers. Contracts range from 2 to 16 credits.
  2. Consider incorporating language institutes or other short term study programs into your contract as Subcontractors. These can provide structure in study, housing and community.
  3. Simultaneously, seek an appropriate faculty sponsor for your contract. Utilize past faculty you've had, faculty recommendations, the quarterly Contract Pool, and the Faculty by Subject Directory to identify the best individual.
  4. Complete the Individual Learning Contract Form. 
  5. Meet with faculty and/or an academic advisor for possible revisions.
  6. Obtain needed signatures only after all needed revisions are made.
  7. Visit the Dean of International Studies in the Academic Deans Office to discuss and obtain final approval of your contract. Bring your completed contract and Travel Waiver. See Registering below.
  8. Of course, begin making arrangements for travel, housing, books, passports, visas, and immunizations as soon as your decision is firm.

Internship Contracts



You may or may not need a visa for the length or type of study you are planning.

  • Understand visa requirements according to the U.S. State Department Consular Information Pages
  • Understand visas requirements according to embassy websites:
  • Once accepted into a consortium program or an Evergreen academic program, you will be aided by staff in securing visas. Observe timelines closely.
  • Visas can take up to a month to obtain.
  • Independent agencies can sometimes expedite the process for a fee, though there is no guarantee of success.
  • Some countries require a negative HIV test as part of the visa application process.
  • Visa regulations are undergoing dramatic changes worldwide due to homeland security concerns. Please check embassy websites often for visa updates.

Financial Aid

  • To apply for financial aid, contact the Financial Aid Office, or research steps on their web pages:
  • If you already have financial aid, you may apply for additional loan support due to the extra expenses associated with study abroad.
  • Complete an Additional Expenses Form at least 6-8 weeks in advance.
  • Include a letter of explanation.
  • Include documentation of your approval to participate in a study abroad program.
  • Include web-based or other documentation of expenses, selecting estimates slightly above average to account for inflation. For academic programs, this may be on file in Financial Aid.
  • Consider expenses for airfare, in-country transportation, tuition, books, supplies, admission fees for field trips, passport and visas, medical exams, immunizations, travel insurance, lodging, food, and required special equipment.
  • If approved for additional loans, these will either be applied to your Evergreen bill for that quarter, and/or a check will be issued to you in Student Accounts.
  • If you are here, pick up the check at Student Accounts.
  • If you won’t be here, prepare Check Mailers with bank deposit slips so your funds can be deposited directly to your bank. Available at Student Accounts.
  • You are responsible to make all needed payments to consortium partners, subcontracting schools, etc.
  • Emergency loans from your expected award are available up to 21 days before the first day of the quarter to pay for travel expenses, etc.
  • Financial aid students must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credits per quarter. When studying abroad on semester - not quarter - systems, students must carry a minimum of 16 semester credits during Spring Semester in order to transfer 24 quarter credits for Winter and Spring quarters to Evergreen. This is not the case for Fall Semesters.


Health and Immunizations

Pre-Departure Steps

Registering for Study Abroad

  • Complete the required Travel Waiver Form. Follow the numbered steps carefully.
  • Download a copy of the Consular Information Sheet for your country at
  • Download a copy of the Travel Warning List, showing that your destination country is not on the list. Attach to Consular Info Sheet.
  • When you have completed your Travel Waiver and downloaded U.S. State Department materials, Submit them as follows. In each case, you may be asked to visit with staff and demonstrate your preparedness for study overseas.
    • Academic Programs: Submit to your faculty or program secretary as directed, often done at group orientations.
    • Consortium Programs: Submit to the Coordinator of International Programs in the Academic Advising Office.
    • Contracts and Internships: Submit to the Dean of International Studies in the Academic Deans Offices. Bring your completed contract with you.
  • Once your materials are signed, proceed with online registration for consortia, or manual registration for contracts. For academic programs, you should already be registered for the quarter in question.

Returning to Evergreen

  1. Many students experience Re-entry Shock upon their return to the U.S. Be attentive to the signs and symptoms. Consult with the International Programs Office for more information.
  2. Complete any required assignments that might carry into the following quarter.
  3. Complete and required Evaluation Forms for your study abroad experience.
  4. Consortium students and ILC students who utilized language schools as subcontractors must request that transcripts be sent to Evergreen for transfer credit evaluation. If you forget, you may not get credit.
  5. Stay involved with international activities in the community. Become part of the vision to educate others and foster global understanding.