Statement of Board Process
- September 25, 1991
- Board of Trustees Listed as Policy #04 within Board of Trustees
- Board of Trustees
Board of Trustees: October 13, 1993
The Board will approach its task in a manner which emphasizes strategic leadership more than administrative detail, clear distinction of Board and staff roles, future rather than past or present, and proactivity rather than reactivity and will be cognizant of the social contract in its relationships with the campus. In this spirit, the Board will:
- Be accountable to the general public for competent, conscientious, and effective accomplishment of its obligations as a body. It will allow no officer, individual, or committee of the Board to usurp this role or deter this discipline.
- Keep its major involvement with the intended long-term impact of the organization, not with the administrative or programmatic means of attaining those effects.
- Be an initiator of policy; and direct, control, and inspire the organization through the careful deliberation and establishment of policies. Policies will be statements of values or approaches which address (a) the mission statement, (b) the boundaries of prudence and ethics to be observed by staff, (c) Board roles and responsibilities and (d) in keeping with Board policy as defined in the Board-staff relationship and the Board Delegation of Authority.
- In May of each year, the Chair will appoint a nominating committee, prior to electing a Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary at the June meeting.
- The Bylaws for the Board of Trustees shall govern the proceedings and conduct of the Board, as well as set forth the duties of the Board officers, and are incorporated herein by this reference.
- Official inquiries and concerns directed to the Board shall be referred to the Chair, who is the spokesperson for the Board, for response. The Board Chair will inform the other members of the Board in a timely manner. Once the Trustees make a decision, that decision becomes the official position of the Board. Individual Board members shall always make it clear when they are speaking as individuals and when they are stating Board positions. The Chair is the official spokesperson of the Board.
- Each October, the Board will design and develop long-term goals and priorities that are reviewed in a work/study session. Those goals and priorities will serve to guide the development of the biennial budget and will be used by the Board to assess budget proposals submitted for their approval. In addition, each October, the Board will review and assess its performance for the past year.
- The monthly agenda for the Board is set by the Board Chair in consultation with the President. Monthly agenda items are submitted to the President's office and the agenda is subject to approval by the Board itself at each meeting. Material related to the agenda will be given to Board members with adequate lead time for preparation.
- The Board meetings are subject to RCW 42.30.010-920, The Open Public Meeting Act, as now or hereafter amended. Executive sessions are held to consider employment, appointment, or dismissal of personnel; to consult with legal counsel; to consider acquisitions of real estate; or for other purposes as allowed by the law.
- Information from the Office of the President may be requested by individual Board members. Requests for the Office of the President to take action, which is generally of the nature of a request by the Board, shall be requested through the Chair, at which time the request becomes a request of the Board.