The Evergreen State College offers a generous state benefits package through the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) to all insurance eligible faculty and staff members. The benefits package includes a choice of comprehensive medical and dental plans as well as an employer paid basic life insurance and basic long-term disability insurance.
Benefit Exchange Marketplace
Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) health insurance coverage will be required for most individuals beginning in 2014, and every state must have a health insurance Marketplace to help people buy health insurance. The Marketplace offers assistance to help you find and compare medical health insurance options offered by private companies, and will also help you find out if you qualify for premium tax credits or other financial assistance. Washington Healthplanfinder is the Marketplace serving Washington residents. If you are an employee (benefits eligible or ineligible) and are interested in finding out more about the Marketplace and Healthplanfinder please read this Employer Notice of Benefit Exchange (PDF).
The Payroll and Benefits Office offers benefits orientations to newly hired benefits eligible employees. The orientation covers information pertaining to the state benefits package and the retirement plans available. Attached is the Benefits Orientation (PDF) or visit the Health Care Authority website at hca.wa.gov/pebb. Many employees find the benefits orientation helpful in reviewing choices and in completing enrollment forms. Please RSVP for an orientation at email@example.com. If you are unable to attend an orientation we are happy to send the materials, or answer specific questions: contact our office at 360-867-6460.
- Employees are benefits eligible when appointed to a classified/exempt/temporary position that is at least 50 percent appointment with duration of more than six consecutive months.
- Continuing Faculty are benefits eligible when appointed for at least a 50 percent contract and duration of three or more academic quarters consecutively.
- Part-Time Faculty can become eligible for insurance benefits in one of two ways:
- If your appointment is quarter-to-quarter, you will become eligible when you achieve a second consecutive quarter of 50% Full-time Equivalent (FTE) or greater. In this case, your coverage begins the first of the month following the beginning of the second-quarter appointment.
- If your appointment is for one quarter only and is paid at a 50% FTE or greater, and at any time in the last 12 months you were eligible for benefits coverage under faculty eligibility here or at any other WA state higher education institute.
Eligible family members for PEBB coverage: (See eligible family members)(See verification requirements)
- Your lawful spouse
- Your Washington State-registered domestic partner (See impacts of Referendum 74)
- Eligible children up to age 26
Eligible employees may choose from among five health plans offered, including Consumer-Directed Health Plans with Health Savings Account (CDHP-HSA):
- Uniform Medical Plan (UMP) Classic—Preferred-ProviderOrganization (PPO)
- UMP CDHP-HSA
- Group Health Classic—a managed-care traditional plan
- Group Health Value—a managed-care value plan
- Group Health CDHP-HSA
Employees will need to select a dental plan from the choices of two managed-care plans and one preferred-provider. Dental premiums are paid in full for you and your qualified dependent(s).
- Uniform Dental Plan (UDP) – Preferred-Provider Organization (PPO)
- DeltaCare – managed-care dental provider
- Willamette Dental Group – managed-care provider
Flexible Spending Account
Voluntary contributions can be set up annually or as a new employee within 30 days to a tax-exempt Flexible Spending Account (FSA) allowing you to save money on eligible medical and dental expenses.
- For more information on 2013 FSAs visit the ASI Flex website pebb.asiflex.com.
- For more information on the 2014 FSA visit the Flex-Plan Services website.
Dependent Care Assistance Program
Deduct your dependent care expenses from your salary before they are taxed. Reimburse your dependent care expenses with the money you saved in your tax-exempt account.
- For more information on 2013 DCA visit the ASI Flex website pebb.asiflex.com.
- For more information on the 2014 DCA visit the Flex-Plan Services website.
Long Term Disability Insurance
The plan pays for Basic Long Term Disability (LTD) coverage with a 90-day waiting period and a maximum benefit of $240 per month. You may purchase additional optional LTD coverage to supplement the Basic LTD, providing up to 60 percent of monthly salary (calculated on a maximum annual salary cap of $6,000/month) following a waiting period you select.
Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Evergreen provides each eligible employee with $25,000 of term life insurance and $5,000 in Accidental Death and Dismemberment. Coverage options allow employees to design their own plan by purchasing up to an additional $250,000 in term insurance for themselves as well as lesser coverage for a spouse/partner without evidence of insurability.