Student Conduct Code Review Committee Charge
Student conduct at Evergreen is addressed in the Student Conduct Code (Chapter 174-123 WAC) which was last revised in January of 2012. See: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=174-123
The Evergreen Student Conduct Code seeks to articulate fair, impartial, learning-centered standards and procedures for upholding the values and aspirations expressed in the Social Contract. The Code affords opportunities for informal resolution and to support students to be accountable for their decisions and actions.
The Student Conduct Code, as with all college policy, exists to enable the College to fulfill its mission. As an innovative public liberal arts college, Evergreen emphasizes collaborative, interdisciplinary learning across significant differences. Our academic community engages students in defining and thinking critically about their learning. Evergreen supports and benefits from local and global commitment to social justice, diversity, environmental stewardship and service in the public interest.
During the 2016-17 academic year staff reviewed and recommended revisions to the Code that would address the following:
- the need for more current definitions,
- improved clarity in processes, and
- greater compliance with the Office of Civil Rights guidance and interpretation of Title IX law.
In May the recommended revisions were published on the college website for the community to review. This work included a summary and an invitation to provide feedback during open forums or online as described below:
- Five public feedback forums
- May 1, 4-6pm
- May 4, 11am-1pm
- May 4, 4:30-6:30pm
- May 10, 4-6pm
- May 22, 11:30am-1pm
- Fliers distributed across campus in three different weekly rounds (including housing, academic buildings, and library and CAB buildings)
- Green Screen ads
- Greener Commons post
- Geoduck calendar posting for final sessions
- Direct communication to RA’s and addressed at an RA meeting
In light of student concerns and questions about the Student Conduct Code shared in May and June this Committee is charged with a deeper review during Summer 2017. The Review Committee will build on the revisions identified by staff and will work with a version of the Code which includes these revisions.
- Understand the purpose and due process required in student conduct codes by learning about model codes and student conduct codes for other institutions, especially Washington public institutions;
- Explore opportunities within the Code to improve timeliness, educational focus, and application of best practices;
- Identify best practices for demonstrations at Evergreen
- Identify whether and how different forms of student demonstration do and do not disrupt the mission of the college and thereby constitute possible violations of the Code;
- Recommend revisions to the Code to the senior administration; and
- Educate the community about the Code and seek feedback on the revisions from the community;
- Identify strategies and practices to elevate awareness and understanding of institutional values and the Code
- Recommend revisions to the Code by August 31, 2017
- Present recommended revisions to the Board of Trustees in September and November
- Prepare draft code for submission to the Order Typing Service (OTS) by October 18, 2017 (required for January 1, 2018 adoption).
- Solicit, review and integrate community feedback during October 2017 (Week 2-5)
- Recommend final revisions to the Code by November 3, 2017
- Advertise the official public hearing required prior to adoption which will occur during Week 9 in November 2017
- The revised Code will be submitted to the Office of the Code Reviser for adoption by December 1, 2017
- Revised Code adopted by January 1, 2018