New e2Campus Signup for WEATHER and EMERGENCY Text Message and Email Alerts
Published: October 14, 2008 09:00 AM
The Evergreen State College has recently adopted the e2Campus emergency notification system that enables the school to send urgent news via text-messaging to your cell phone and/or email.
The service is available to all current students, faculty and staff of The Evergreen State College.
Once you sign up for the service, the school can text your cell phone and/or email with timely information about emergencies and school closures (no general or non-urgent messages). This replaces the prior FlashAlert system, so if you want these notifications, you will need to sign up for e2Campus.
Depending on your personal cell phone plan, there may be a nominal fee from your carrier to receive text messages, but there is no charge from the school to use the service.
To sign up, go to http://www.evergreen.edu/emergencypreparedness
(and see additional directions below to help guide you through the simple registration process).
While the introduction of e2Campus is designed to improve on past emergency communication systems, no single system can guarantee the ability to reach all subscribers in all circumstances. We are working on further improvements for on-campus communication in case of emergency. Here are some other resources for information on weather delays and closures.
Additional Information Sources Campus Closures/Weather Delays
Evergreen Web site: www.evergreen.edu
Evergreen switchboard: 360-867-6000 (press 1 for operating status of the Olympia campus).
Radio: KGY/1240 AM (Olympia); 1320 AM (Aberdeen); 1170 AM (Centralia); 1030 AM (Shelton); KIRO 710 AM; KOMO 1000 AM
Evergreens’ Tacoma campus follows Tacoma School District decisions (see http://www.tacoma.k12.wa.us/information/Pages/SchoolClosures.aspx)
Weather conditions in Washington can vary widely from location to location. Students, faculty and staff should always evaluate the conditions where they are and make their own decisions about travel.
Steps to register for e2Campus alerts:
- Visit: www.evergreen.edu/emergencypreparedness
- If you prefer *to receive emails only*, proceed to the link, Click Here To Sign Up Using EMAIL Only under the Create Account button. Otherwise create a username and enter email and cell phone number. Additional options for RSS readers, additional emails, etcetera will be available on successive pages after you create your account.
- After you create your account, watch your email and/or cell phone for verification messages designed to ensure correct and reliable communications to phones and email addresses.
- With email: it is particularly important to check that the resulting message did not enter your junk email folder, and to add the email address to your safe list if it did. Due to the variety of security levels associated with email accounts, networks, spam filters, and computer systems, this step is crucial to ensure an open channel for emergency messages. In Microsoft Outlook, for example, if you do not receive a verification message in a few minutes, please check the junk email folder. To do this, right-click on the message from firstname.lastname@example.org and choose . The procedure for safe-listing messages will vary with different email systems and networks.
Cell phones will receive a verification code via text message that you enter into the Web site ensuring that your phone received the test message and can therefore receive text messages in the future.
If you fail to follow the link in the email to verify your registration or fail to enter a cell phone code onto the Web site when prompted, your cell phone or email will not be registered with the system.
To edit your e2Campus account:
- Visit: www.e2campus.com/my/evergreen/.
- Login using the Username and Password you registered with.
- Click on the Services tab to edit your information.
Jason Wettstein Media & Community Relations Manager
The Evergreen State College