Master of Environmental Studies

MES Student Resources

Evergreen and the MES program offer a variety of resources for MES students.

MES Advising

The MES Assistant Director, Gail Wootan, is here to help you figure out your next few years with MES. You can also talk to a any MES core faculty member. To make an appointment with Gail, please email or call 360-867-6225. Hours are M-F, 9am-5pm.

Advising Resources

Career Guidance for MES Students

MES students are encouraged to use the services at the Career Development Center at Evergreen. They offer career counseling, resume and cover letter writing guidance, interview workshops, and various job/internship fairs. MES faculty and staff can also give career guidance.

Career Guidance Resources

If you are looking for a job, don't forget to check MES Weekly or our jobs page.


MES students are encouraged to attend conferences and workshops as a way to enhance their graduate experience. MES has compiled a list of local and national conferences and workshops for students to consider. Evergreen students may apply for up to $500 of conference funding for any conference at which they present - application is below. Current students may also apply for funds to assist in attending events through the MESA student organization - please contact your MESA coordinators for more details.

Computer Resources

Evergreen has a Computer Center in the Library Building that is open late for all students, as well as the Computer Applications Lab in the Lab 2 Building for students who need to use specific scientific software. Also, if you need (or just want) to buy a computer for your time at Evergreen, you can ask for increased financial aid for a one-time purchase by filling out an Additional Expenses Form found on Evergreen's Financial Aid Forms page.

Master of Environmental Studies Association (MESA)

MES has an active student association that plans social events, volunteer activities, conference trips, and the yearly Rachel Carson Forum. For more information, contact your MESA coordinators.

Non-enrolled MES Students

Non-enrolled MES students are welcome to take any MES elective as a Special Grad Student and can apply the credits earned toward a future MES degree.

PhD Programs & Funding

MES is dedicated to assisting students beyond their career as a MES graduate student. MES will continue to add such opportunities to the following list.

List of PhD Programs & Funding (PDF)

Registration & Tuition Deadlines

Registration and tuition are typically due by the Friday of the first week of each quarter.  See Registration & Records for all registration deadlines. You can also check Business Services' Deadlines page for a comprehensive calendar of deadlines.  Late tuition payment usually incurs a $50 fee.


All nonresident MES students who wish to become Washington residents to reduce tuition costs in their second year are encouraged to speak with Registration and Records.  Depending on your unique situation, you may be eligible for residency in your second year.  Please contact Registration and Records with questions at 360-867-6180 or

Writing Help

We know that graduate-level writing can be challenging for students, so Evergreen offers a graduate writing tutor for the graduate programs.  Graduate students may also go to the Evergreen Writing Center.