Master of Environmental Studies Degree
Scholarships available and waived application fee for AmeriCorps members and AmeriCorps alumni!
Highly participatory and interdisciplinary curriculum
- Explore the intersection of environmental science, politics and economics in the Pacific Northwest through the required core sequence.
- Develop specialized skills in ecology, energy/climate change, and sustainable communities with electives.
- Research an environmental issue of your choice while completing your thesis.
- Receive narrative evaluations that assess your performance instead of grades; classes at Evergreen are credit/no credit.
Team-taught evening classes
- Earn your degree at night while continuing to work.
- Choose to attend full-time (2 years) or part-time (3 years).
- Courses are taught by natural and social science faculty.
A promising career
- Gain work experience through optional paid or unpaid internships.
- Alumni are employed in the public, private, and non-profit sectors, or working on a Ph.D.
- Green jobs are on the rise, and all economic sectors seek environmental professionals.
- Learn the interdisciplinary skills needed for today's professional environmental work.
A leader in the field
- We've educated more than 610 environmental leaders since 1984.
- Compare our costs to other institutions and see that we're below the national average.
- Spring 2013 Newsletter now online! (6/5/13)
- Alumna Hannah Anderson, '06, featured in NW News Network for her work with the streaked horn lark. (5/16/13)
- Congratulations to MES students Otis Bush and Andrea Martin for being awarded Student Foundation Activity Grants for their thesis research. Watch Andrea speak at the 2013 TEDxTheEvergreenStateCollege (5/8/13)
- 23rd Annual Rachel Carson Forum coming on May 10! (5/6/13)
- Graduation 2013 schedule now online! (5/3/13)
- Winter 2013 Newsletter now online! (3/11/13)
- Thesis presentation schedule now available for Tuesday, March 5 (2/27/13)
- Congratulations to second year MES student, Brittany Gallagher, for being awarded a Student Foundation Activity Grant for her thesis research (1/28/13)
- Director Martha Henderson featured in National Council for Science and the Environment conference video (1/17/13)
- Evergreen to host second annual TEDxTheEvergreenStateCollege on February 25 (1/11/13)
- Congratulations to MES faculty Erin Ellis for being awarded an Evergreen faculty foundation grant for carbon cycling dynamics of temperate rainforests! (1/7/13)
- MES students Jennie Husby and Justin Rogers are featured in One-Minute Evergreen for their thesis presentations (12/18/12)
- Fall 2012 Newsletter (PDF) now available! (11/29/12)
- MES faculty Carri LeRoy and student Andrea Martin featured in the New York Times and USA Today for work with the Sustainability in Prisons Project. (9/28/12)
- More >>
Opportunities and Events for MES Students and Alumni
- Job– Program Coordinator, Vancouver Watersheds Alliance (Vancouver, WA) Posted: June 18, 2013
- Job– Seasonal Shellfish Biologist, ODFW Marine Resources Program (Newport, OR) Posted: June 18, 2013
- Job– Coral Reef Biologist, Coastal Resources Management Office (Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands) Posted: June 18, 2013
- Job– Aquatic Ecology, Ecotoxicology Technician, USGS (Corvallis, OR) Posted: June 18, 2013
- Green Skyline Tour from Tacoma to Olympia Posted: June 18, 2013
- Job– Temporary GIS Specialist, City of Seattle (Seattle,WA) Posted: June 14, 2013
- Job– Community Orchards Coordinator, Portland Fruit Tree Project (Portland,OR) Posted: June 14, 2013
- Job– Database Administrator, Pacific Science Center (Seattle,WA) Posted: June 14, 2013
- Stream Team Events!! Posted: June 14, 2013
- Job– Energy Management Faculty, Lane Community College (Eugene, OR) Posted: June 14, 2013