Media Loan Job Application
The Media Loan Assistant / Aide work load can be divided into three main areas:
- Circulating Media Loan Equipment. This includes: responding to patron requests for video, photography, audio, and presentation equipment; determining what equipment is necessary to meet the patron’s needs; making sure the equipment is operating properly; demonstrating proper operation of the equipment; using a computer terminal to reserve equipment, check equipment out/in and renew equipment check-outs, and schedule patrons into various media production areas.
- Teaching and testing of media equipment operation for the Proficiency Certification process. This involves instructing individuals and groups in the proper operation of various equipment items in individual and group workshops. Each Media Loan Assistant/Aide will be qualified through job training to teach and test all the items requiring a Proficiency Certification.
- General maintenance of equipment includes following guidelines for cleaning, maintaining and minor adjusting of equipment plus noting items in need of more extensive maintenance or repair.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Contact with the public is extensive and important in this position. A Media Loan Assistant/Aide must have a great deal of patience, know how to listen and communicate effectively and efficiently.
- S/he must be able to handle repetitive tasks and "pressure" situations.
- The assistant's academic schedule must be such that scheduled work times are not disrupted on short notice or repeatedly.
- Students will be expected to be punctual and work their entire shift.
- Attendance at a weekly staff meeting and training (2-4 pm Wednesdays) is mandatory.
Minimum requirements include:
- An ability to grasp simple electromechanical operations.
- Experience dealing with the public in a helpful and straightforward manner.
- An ability to learn and subsequently teach the operation of media equipment.
- The ability and desire to learn how to use circulation system.
- The ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
The starting rate of pay is $9.25 an hour. Student workers are expected to work between 10 and 19 hours per week during Media Loan's operational hours.