Checking out of Housing
As the end of the year approaches and you prepare for summer, we want you to know what to expect at check out. Every year some residents incur unnecessary charges for cleaning, keys, or not checking out properly. We want to make the check out process smooth for you. Please review the information below.
EASE (Early Assistance for Students Exiting):
- We are offering assistance moving out on Wednesday, June 14. The majority of evaluations are done by this time, and we encourage you to make plans to move out earlier in the week before the Friday deadline. Ideally, make your travel arrangements so you can take advantage of student staff assisting you with your move out!
Mark your calendar for Wednesday June 14
- 10am – 8pm special loading zone parking available and access to shopping carts.
- 1pm – 7pm RAD student staff available to help you load up your car (similar to check in).
Reasons to take advantage of EASE and move out on Wednesday 6/14.
- Less traffic on campus Wednesday compared to Friday with thousands of visitors for the graduation ceremony.
- Less traffic on major freeways if you avoid leaving on Friday. Quicker drive home or to the airport.
- Less stress and hassle of last minute moving.
- Music and a fun atmosphere to move out to!
What to do before check out:
- Meet with your RA and your room/suite/apartment mates to discuss cleaning standards, how to properly donate any unwanted items, and other important check-out information.
- Complete an "Exit LLA" document with your room/suite/apartment mates, recording how you and your room/suite/apartment mates will divide up the cleaning of shared common spaces and who is responsible for any damages in those areas. Return the Exit LLA to your RA.
- Exchange summer contact information with your roommates and make a plan for communicating if you receive charges for shared space.
- Return furniture to original locations and arrangements.
- Disconnect or transfer landline telephone, cable or internet service not provided by housing returning modem box to appropriate vendor.
- Update your mail forwarding address here.
- Fill out our quick three question exit survey.
Clean your space using the following checklist:
- Remove all trash and recycling, scrub trash and recycling bins inside and out.
- Clean all tile/vinyl/laminate floors. Remove any stains on carpets.
- Mirrors, windows, & sills: Remove gum, stickers, food, paint, or anything else and wipe down.
- Ceiling, walls & doors: Remove posters, stickers, tacks, tape, nails, etc.
- Desks, bookshelves, dressers, cabinets & furniture: Empty and clean.
- Mattress: Shake off any debris, and wipe down.
- Extra Furnishings: Remove all household furnishings that you brought
- Grounds: Pick up & remove trash from around your unit.
- Toilet & Sink: Clean, wipe all counters and surfaces of cabinets.
- Shower & Tub Room: Remove all soap scum, dirt and mold from shower/tub. Take shower curtain down, using a mild soap and sponge wash off any soap scum or mold, rinse and re-hang.
- Lounges inside of A, B, C and D will be closed on Friday June 9th at 5pm.
- All recycling, compost, and trash should be taken to the main collection areas.
Complete all of the following actions to avoid a $60 Improper Check Out fee:
- Close and latch all windows in your space
- Close and lock your door(s)
- Check out before the 5:00pm deadline of the spring quarter check out date.
- Personally complete the check-out inspection and turn in all keys during the inspection and sign your check out paperwork*
*Note: If checking out after regular office hours, you must notify the RAD Front Office personnel and make prior arrangements for the retrieval of your keys to avoid fees.
How to check out
- Check your mailbox for the last time.
- Pack and remove all belongings from your room and shared common areas.
- Clean your room and shared common areas.
- Complete a check-out inspection with an RA.
- During check-out inspection with RA lock your door(s) & window(s), and turn in all of your keys to the RA.
|Monday, June 12 through Thursday, June 15||9am - 9pm||All housing residents||2nd Floor of A Building||Call (360) 867-6199 or come to the 2nd Floor of A Building|
|Friday, June 16||9am - 5pm||A, B, C, D residents||2nd floor of A building||Call (360) 867-6199 or come to the 2nd Floor of A Building|
|Friday, June 16||9am - 5pm||E, F, G, H, I, J, K, Mods, N, P, Q, R, S, T, U residents||Circle in the center Soup Loop||Call (360) 951-0535 or come to the circle in Soup Loop|
- Keys must be returned at the time of your check out inspection. You must still check out even if you have lost your keys.
- Because we provide housing over the summer to students and conferences, we cannot allow keys to be mailed or brought back later.
What happens after check out
- A room assessment will be conducted after you check out and any cleaning/damage charges will be posted on your student account.
- Around June 27, you will be notified by email to your Evergreen email address of any damage or cleaning charges that will be billed to your student account.
- All residents of the apartment/unit will be billed equally for cleaning/damage costs to the common areas unless one person responds using their Evergreen email taking full responsibility for the damage by Sunday, July 2, 2017.
- If you are concerned about someone you live with not taking responsibility for charges after the school year ends, you should talk with your Resident Director as soon as possible before June 16.
- Residential and Dining Services provides loaner vacuums.
- As the end of eval week approaches, vacuums are in greater demand, please plan accordingly.
- We do not provide cleaning supplies.
- All bikes will be removed from bike racks and impounded after 7 am on Wednesday, June 28.
- IT Bus Service will be suspended to the A-Building loop from Wednesday through Saturday of spring eval/June checkout week. The nearest stop is the Library Loop.
- Parking will not be allowed in any fire lanes and will be strictly enforced.
- Summer resident room transfers will be coordinated through the Residential and Dining Services Office prior to check out.
- Donate any usable items to be redistributed to those in need.
- Start early, plan ahead to reduce waste.
- Recycle all items early. The bins located throughout Residential and Dining Services fill quickly.
- Take your usable items (working appliances, kitchen ware, clean clothing, furniture, electronics, decorative items, school supplies, books, sealed personal hygiene/cleaning supplies, holiday decorations, etc.) to these donation stations:
- Second floor lounges of B, C, D
- RADAR (2nd floor of A)
- HCC Free Store
Your Residential and Dining Services contract ends at 5:00 pm on Friday June 16, 2017.
- Anyone who does not check out by 5:00 pm on June 16, 2017 will be evicted, billed $60 for improper check out, billed a $300 late check out fee, charged for lock change(s), and charged an impound cost for storage and handling of items in room.
If you have any questions, speak with your RA or stop by the RAD Services office on the 3rd floor of A-Building between 9 am and 7 pm or call (360) 867-6132.