Institutions may disclose, without consent, "directory" information. However, students may request that the institution not disclose directory information about them ("confidentiality"). Student records and directory information are accessible to members of the faculty and staff who have a legitimate need to know this information.
Evergreen defines directory information as the student's:
- Telephone number
- Dates of attendance
- Date and place of birth
- Major field of study
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Degrees and awards received
- Most recent educational institution attended by the student
Some effects of requesting confidential status:
- Students with confidential status must make all address changes with a signed authorization or in person with a form of ID;
- Friends or relatives trying to reach students with confidential status will not be able to do so through the College;
- Inquiries from loan companies, prospective employers, family members, etc., about a student with confidential status will be informed that we have no record of the student's attendance here.
Confidential classification remains on a student's record until a signed request authorizing its removal is submitted to the College.