Visiting Full Time Faculty Position
Science Teacher Educator - 2013-15
This is a full time faculty position in our Master in Teaching Program for the 2013 to 2015 academic years.
The Evergreen State College seeks an individual who is passionate and knowledgeable about the sciences and about teacher preparation. We are interested in candidates who have the knowledge and skills to help pre-service teachers become excited about sharing science with their students as well as helping them understand how children and adolescents think about science concepts. This person must be able to integrate science concepts with issues in other content areas and prepare teacher education candidates to use assessment of students’ knowledge, skills, and family and linguistic backgrounds to support effective instruction. We are interested in candidates who have a strong commitment to social justice and issues of equity and access in education.
The successful candidate will focus on teacher preparation in general and also specifically on preparing teacher candidates to effectively teach science in K-12 public schools to students from diverse cultural, and linguistic backgrounds. The successful candidate will have an understanding of interdisciplinary learning as it applies to a teacher preparation program. The successful applicant will collaborate with two other faculty members to design and teach all components of the two-year MiT program, which includes teacher candidates seeking certification from kindergarten to high school across a range of content areas.
Applicants must have a background in teacher education, specialized knowledge and experience in one or more of the sciences and their related pedagogies (including effective use of appropriate technologies); current knowledge about effective, integrated science pedagogies; experience as a public school science teacher and/or college faculty; knowledge or interest in environmental education and/or sustainability; and knowledge of the impact of culture, ethnicity, and race on how learners approach, understand, and have access to science content and processes. In addition, applicants must be prepared to support teacher candidates with master’s level review and critique of educational research projects.
The MiT program for pre-service teachers is a two-year program that awards successful candidates with a master’s degree and a recommendation for certification. Evergreen’s approach to teacher education is founded on social justice and democratic principles of education. Building on a socio-constructivist philosophy of learning, MiT candidates engage in reflective practices by closely examining K-12 student learning to inform instruction. While the MiT program is informed by state competencies for teaching endorsements, faculty members enjoy freedom to determine the pace, emphasis, classroom strategies and modes of assessments in the programs they teach. Faculty candidates who have background and interests beyond teacher education and have prior experience teaching with faculty from other disciplines are particularly encouraged to apply. We encourage applicants who have had experience teaching and/or working with students from underrepresented populations.
For additional information on our master in teaching program.
Review of complete applications begins October 15, 2012 and will continue until finalists are selected.
- Professional development teaching experience or college teaching experience, specifically with practicing or pre-service teachers;
- An undergraduate or master degree in science or science education, or equivalent science background;
- Professional experience promoting educational equity;
- K-12 science teaching experience, including use of appropriate technologies; and
- Interest in interdisciplinary teaching or interdisciplinary research.
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Curriculum and Instruction (or similar field) with primary focus in Science Education and/or Teacher Education focused in Science;
- Experience teaching underrepresented student populations in K-6;
- Understanding of the needs of English Language Learners;
- Background in supporting teacher leadership; and
- Experience designing, developing and facilitating professional learning opportunities for teachers of science.
Review of complete applications begins October 15, 2012. We will continue to accept applications until finalists are selected. Salary for all positions is based on experience and degrees. We do not offer relocation expenses for our adjunct faculty positions.
Submit the following information on our online application, link is above:
- Contact Information
- Work Experience
- Affirmative Action
Submit the following items as an attachment(s) with an email or mail:
- A letter of interest (approximately 2-3 pages) that explicitly addresses your qualifications for the position and how your experiences have prepared you to teach within Evergreen's MiT Conceptual Framework.
- Curriculum Vitae or resume that includes a listing/description of any professional development or college coursework you have taught for in-service or pre-service teachers.
- A sample of your professional writing.
- A 2-3 page essay that addresses the following prompt: As part of your responsibility as a faculty member in the MiT program, you will create learning experiences for the entire MiT cohort which consists of teacher candidates who represent all content areas and all grade levels, K-12. Design a learning experience that is derived from your knowledge of science education but is relevant to all teacher candidates in the MiT program. Include a commentary about the value you believe this learning experience would have for the diverse group of teacher candidates in the program. Assume the learning experience would take place in our MiT program, on campus, with all teacher candidates in the cohort and would take approximately 1-3 hours.
- Names of three references – include address, telephone number and email address.
The College reserves the right to extend searches or not offer positions advertised. As a condition of employment, persons hired must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of beginning work. All position offers are contingent on funding. Persons with disabilities can receive accommodations in the hiring process by contacting the Faculty Hiring Coordinator. The Evergreen State College is an equal opportunity employer.