Teacher Education - Literacy
This is a full-time, regular* faculty position starting in the 2017-18 academic year.
The Evergreen State College seeks a full-time, regular faculty member for our Master in Teaching program. We seek an educator with expertise in K-12 teacher preparation and specific expertise in teaching children in self-contained, K-6 educational settings. The person selected for this position must demonstrate: a professional and critical understanding of teacher education; experience and ability to work collaboratively and across disciplines; use of equity pedagogy in teacher education and K-12 educational settings. The successful applicant will teach regularly with an interdisciplinary Master in Teaching faculty team and will transition occasionally to our interdisciplinary undergraduate program in areas supporting teacher preparation.
*Regular is equivalent to tenure-track at other colleges. A complete description of the continuing contract and conversion process can be found in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, article 11.
- Doctoral degree in literacy, reading, education, or an education-related field with an emphasis in teacher education;
- Academic background in elementary literacy instruction with an emphasis in sociopsycholinguistics;
- Experience teaching in self-contained K-6 classrooms or as reading specialist in U.S. public schools;
- Expertise in teacher education, K-8 reading and language arts theory and instruction, literacy acquisition and instruction, sociopsycholinguistics;
- Minimum of three years experience teaching adults in the field of education – please provide evidence of designing teacher education opportunities for adults (e.g., methods course syllabi, professional development offerings, reading lists);
- Current or former teacher certification; and
- Evidence of equity pedagogy.
- Experience teaching and implementing miscue analysis;
- Experience teaching pre-service teachers about the edTPA;
- Experience teaching Common Core State Standards to pre-service teachers;
- Evidence of teaching pre-service teachers classroom management and/or assessment strategies;
- Evidence of teaching pre-service teachers equity pedagogy strategies; and
- Experience teaching graduate level writing.
Review of complete applications begins January 4, 2017. We will continue to accept applications until finalists are selected. We encourage candidates interested in this position to also submit their application to the Elementary Education position.
To apply, please enter the following information via our online application:
- Contact Information
- Affirmative Action
In addition, submit the following items as email attachment(s) to: (email@example.com)
- Curriculum vitae, including list of all current or former K-12 certifications and endorsements;
- Letter of application, which speaks directly to the minimum and preferred qualifications (please use the qualifications as headers in your letter);
- 1-2 page statement of your teaching philosophy and practice with appropriate references and/or citations;
- 1-2 page statement of your equity practices (more information is available on our website: http://www.evergreen.edu/facultyhiring/equitypedagogy)
- Examples of lesson plans and/or syllabi that demonstrate equity pedagogy;
- Examples of lesson plans and/or syllabi that demonstrate content knowledge of beginning reading instruction
- Three names and contact information for professional colleagues; two of which must submit letters of reference (letters of reference may be submitted via regular mail or email at firstname.lastname@example.org); and
- Optional: Student evaluations and/or letters of support from current and/or former students.
The College reserves the right to extend searches or not offer positions advertised. As a condition of employment, persons hired must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of contract start date. All position offers are contingent on funding. Persons with disabilities can receive accommodations in the hiring process by contacting the Faculty Hiring Coordinator. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability or veteran status.