Evergreen’s Graduate Program on the Environment seeks a broadly trained faculty colleague with a background in landscape ecology. The position is full-time for two years, with primary teaching responsibilities in the evening. We are especially interested in candidates who apply spatial analysis tools to environmental problems in aquatic, terrestrial, or urban systems. The successful candidate should be able to teach spatial analysis, including introductory and advanced GIS and remote sensing applications, and to advise student thesis research that employs these methods. The ideal candidate will also be able to teach research design and quantitative methods. Evergreen organizes its curriculum through interdisciplinary programs so the ideal candidate must demonstrate the potential for working across disciplines with faculty colleagues to design and teach a graduate-level curriculum.Minimum Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in landscape ecology or related discipline;
- Undergraduate or graduate teaching experience; and
- Ability to teach spatial analysis.
- Research or teaching experience in one or more desired areas of expertise;
- Experience in interdisciplinary teaching and learning;
- Ability to support students’ development of research and writing skills;
- Ability to support students’ quantitative analysis and research;
- Experience in pursuing innovative and engaging teaching strategies; and
- Ability to mentor students and support thesis projects.
To apply, please enter the following information via our online application:
- Contact Information
- Work Experience
- Affirmative Action
- Curriculum vitae;
- Letter of application that expresses your vision of innovative approaches to teaching in an interdisciplinary, collaborative, and inquiry-based setting;
- 1-2 page statement of your teaching philosophy and practice. Please focus specifically on your understanding and experience of interdisciplinary study and what you believe should distinguish a liberal arts education today;
- Examples of scholarly work (research papers or reviews);
- Three current letters of reference from professional colleagues (letters of reference may be submitted via regular mail or email to firstname.lastname@example.org);
Review of complete applications begins March 31, 2014. We will continue to accept application materials until finalists are selected.
The College reserves the right to extend searches or not offer positions advertised. As a condition of employment, persons hired must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of contract start date. All position offers are contingent on funding. Persons with disabilities can receive accommodations in the hiring process by contacting the Faculty Hiring Coordinator. The Evergreen State College is an equal opportunity employer.
This is a 2-year visiting faculty position not eligible for continuing appointment.