Faculty Position in Biology (Physiology)
The Evergreen State College seeks a faculty colleague to teach biological science in a wide range of interdisciplinary courses and programs. Candidates must demonstrate a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching at all levels, including teaching in the established biological sciences and health sciences curriculum. The successful candidate must be able to teach physiology at and beyond the cellular and molecular levels. Candidates should able to teach in an additional specialty area(s) related to human health (for example: genetics, immunology, toxicology, pharmacology, neurobiology, medical microbiology, endocrinology.) Candidates must have a strong commitment to supporting undergraduate research projects. The ability to support research projects related to human health is particularly desirable. This position offers the possibility of collaborations with other biologists and colleagues in the sciences as well as in the arts, humanities, and social sciences.
Evergreen organizes its curriculum through interdisciplinary studies (rather than through departments and courses), so the ideal candidate would show the potential for working across disciplines with faculty colleagues. In addition to teaching, faculty are expected to advise and mentor students and participate in Evergreen’s system of shared governance. Through participation in shared governance, faculty play a significant role in most aspects of how the college is run.
- Ph.D. in the biological sciences;
- College level teaching experience;
- Ability to teach human physiology in biology and health science curricula;
- Ability to teach additional specialty area with connection to human health (ex: genetics, immunology, toxicology, pharmacology, neurobiology, medical microbiology, endocrinology);
- Commitment to undergraduate teaching at all levels;
- Ability to support undergraduate research projects;
- Commitment to teaching in an interdisciplinary context; and
- Strong interest in contributing to a curriculum that emphasizes connecting theory to practice.
- Ability to support students’ development of scientific literacy;
- Ability to support students’ development of writing skills;
- Experience in interdisciplinary teaching or research;
- Team teaching experience;
- Experience working with diverse and underrepresented populations; and
- Experience pursuing innovative and engaging teaching strategies.
To apply, please enter the following information to our online application:
- Contact Information
- Work Experience
- Affirmative Action
Submit the following items as email attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Curriculum vitae;
- Letter of application that expresses your interest in the position and details how your background, skills and experience will contribute to academically rigorous, interdisciplinary science programs;
- Three current letters of reference from professional colleagues (letters of reference may be submitted via regular mail or email (email@example.com);
- Descriptions of two potential research projects suitable for undergraduate students;
- 1-2 page statement of your teaching philosophy and practice. Please focus specifically on your understanding and/or experience of interdisciplinary study and what you believe should distinguish a liberal arts education today;
- 1-2 page statement of your multicultural experience and/or practice;
- Examples of scholarly work; and
- Optional: Student evaluations and/or letters of support from current and/or former students.
Review of complete applications begins October 14, 2013. We will continue to accept application materials until finalists are selected.
The College reserves the right to extend searches or not offer positions advertised. As a condition of employment, persons hired must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three(3) days of beginning work. All position offers are contingent on funding. Persons with disabilities can receive accommodations in the hiring process by contacting the Faculty Hiring Coordinator. The Evergreen State College is an equal opportunity employer.
The successful candidate is eligible for continuing appointment based on the guidelines set forth in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.