Media Maintenance Technician 1 (Project Position)
Bulletin number: 2014-006SM
Closing date: 03/18/2014 at 5:00 p.m. PST
The Evergreen State College is committed to prohibiting discrimination and to building a diverse faculty and staff. We strongly encourage qualified persons of all races, ethnicities, and sexual orientations, people with disabilities, persons over forty, women, Vietnam Era and disabled veterans to apply.
There is currently one full-time, overtime-eligible Media Maintenance Technician 1 project position available in Network Services on the Olympia Campus of The Evergreen State College. This position is currently scheduled to end March 31, 2015 with continuation beyond that date dependent on additional funding. The candidate pool established from this announcement may be used to fill comparable permanent, full-time, part-time, and temporary vacancies in the future.
The Evergreen State College is a progressive, public liberal arts and sciences college located in Olympia, Washington, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Since opening its doors in 1971, Evergreen has established a national reputation for leadership in developing innovative interdisciplinary, collaborative and team-taught academic programs. The college has a vibrant undergraduate program, graduate programs, and public service centers that constitute a unique academic setting. The college values a student-centered learning environment, a link between theory and practice, and a multicultural community of diverse faculty, students and staff working together. Current enrollment is approximately 4,800. For more information about Evergreen, please visit our college catalog or our website: http://www.evergreen.edu
- Salary is $2,370 - $3,135 per month of full time work.
- Experience and training may be considered in salary placement.
- A full state benefits package which includes: paid sick and vacation leave; paid campus holidays; a generous medical, dental, life and disability insurance package for employees and dependents; retirement; deferred compensation and optional supplemental retirement accounts. For more information about Evergreen's excellent employee benefits, please view http://www.evergreen.edu/payroll/benefits.htm
- Staff are eligible for a free local bus/transit pass.
- Permanent status employees that work 0.5 FTE or more are eligible for the tuition waiver program.
Install and configure AV systems for the college’s classrooms and perform other tasks as assigned.
NATURE AND SCOPE
This position reports to the Associate Director of Computing & Communications for Electronic Maintenance and Engineering and working under general supervision, is responsible for the installation and configuration of new AV and related systems in classrooms and other areas of campus. This position is also responsible for assisting with other installation projects as time allows.
- One year of experience installing AV systems and telecommunication cabling with little or no direct supervision.
- Unbox, test, and preconfigure AV equipment such as digital video projectors, system controllers, amplifiers, signal processor, speakers and security devices.
- Perform site inspections to evaluate necessary steps for installation of new AV equipment and systems.
- Use ladders, high lifts and other appropriate methods to perform work or above finished ceiling heights.
- Use hand tools such as drills, hammers, power saws, etc. to make minor modifications to walls, ceilings, equipment mounts and enclosures.
- Use computers and built-in installation interfaces to configure AV equipment to meet required performance goals.
- Install cabling in ceilings, walls, and conduits, typically without assistance.
- Install and test a variety of AV and telecommunications cable connectors.
- Install equipment in a variety of locations such as hanging from ceiling mounts, in wall boxes or cabinets, in equipment racks, etc.
- Use test equipment and portable computers to verify proper operation of AV equipment and systems.
- Resolve unexpected difficulties as necessary with any aspect of the physical or electronic installation.
- Coordinate closely with staff responsible for scheduling spaces requiring new equipment and with other EME technical staff as needed.
- Clean up job sites as necessary.
- Maintain a safe, clean and organized workspace in the EME shop.
- Maintain thorough documentation of work performed, equipment configurations and key decisions made while coordinating the installation of systems.
- Provide backup support and assistance for other technical work in EME as needed in areas such as telecommunications cable installation and testing, AV equipment, and printer support, etc.
- Assist with routine shop operations such shipping and receiving, documentation, helping customers, etc.
- Special research or installation projects as assigned by EME manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of AV classroom equipment and cabling practices.
- Familiarity with standard AV performance and testing criteria.
- Ability to work at heights using ladders, high lifts or other approved means.
- Ability to use a broad range of AV test equipment and installation tools.
- Ability to work in an open office environment with frequent interruptions.
- Physical ability to move heavy containers weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle multiple tasks requiring a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail in a highly distractive environment.
- Ability to effectively organize project variable including room availability schedules, equipment and parts deliveries, approximated duration of work, etc.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups and individuals including students, staff, faculty, and the public.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and customer service skills in person, over the phone, and by email.
- Ability to perform work on a computer for extended periods of time and operate standard office equipment.
- Ability to effectively collaborate and coordinate work with coworkers and other college employees.
- Skill and ability with Microsoft Windows computers including the current generation of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to create, organize, and maintain computerized records and files.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- This position is assigned to part of the college that is covered by a union shop provision and a collective bargaining agreement. Employees are required to pay an amount equal to the fees or dues required to be a member of the union to the Washington Federation of State Employees within thirty days of their date of hire.
- Must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three days of beginning work.
- Must pass a pre-employment background check.
TO SUCCESSFULLY APPLY AND BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION YOU MUST COMPLETE AND SUBMIT ALL THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
1. Possess the skills and abilities required to perform the position;
2. Complete the General Application form (Word | PDF); and
3. Complete a Key Skills and Abilities Inventory form (Word | PDF) to indicate your ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
4. An Affirmative Action Data Sheet (Word | PDF). Note: Submission of this statistical information is voluntary.
Please carefully read the job bulletin and submit all requested items by the closing date listed above. The committee in its screening of applicants will assume your abilities and experience include only those elements specifically documented within your application materials. By submitting a completed application for this position you are acknowledging that all of the information that you have submitted to apply for this job is true and complete to the best of your knowledge. You understand that The Evergreen State College may verify this information and that untruthful or misleading answers are cause for rejection of your application or dismissal if you are hired. If invited for an on-campus interview, you may be required to pay your own travel expenses
Materials may be submitted using any one of the following options:
Mail: The Evergreen State College
Human Resource Services, Library Bldg Room 3102
2700 Evergreen Parkway NW
Olympia, WA 98505
Fax: (360) 867-6823
Or in person to the Human Resource Services office, Library Building room 3102.
Application materials submitted to the College become property of the College and will not be returned.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, call the Human Resource Services Office at (360) 867-5361 (voice), or (360) 867-6834 (TTY) or email your request to email@example.com.